Vintage Adult 20" DeSoto Trike Lowrider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.ebay.com/i/154236496593?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=2&asc=20160908110712&meid=b56dd68fc3d244e3a84f4647aaac6e10&pid=100677&rk=6&rkt=30&mehot=none&sd=393050309199&itm=154236496593&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2386202&algv=DefaultOrganic

s-l1600.jpg
Yeah, I saw those but they seem so overpriced when you add the shipping. So indeed, they are out there, but paying 40% above market price seems crazy when you add in all the other parts that have the same markup.

$200 for one wheel is marked up >100%. I would have to pay $600 for bicycle wheels. I can get two new trikes for that price.
Especially when the brand is listed as "lowrider" which means the chrome'll probably rust on an overcast day, let alone if it gets wet.

Last edited:
Sorry, I came off as unappreciative in my last comment. I am thankful you looked for me, I'm just getting sticker shock with some of the prices.
:thumbsup: I didn't really look at the price, just the specs.

Occasionally I pay a little more to get something from Amazon because it's usually guaranteed to turn up. Sadly, unlike many untested niche hobby vendors.

200 smackers for a single wheel is pretty raw, though :bigsmile:

The fine for robbing a kid in a wheelchair and stealing his wheels is probably cheaper

200 smackers for a single wheel is pretty raw, though :bigsmile:

The fine for robbing a kid in a wheelchair and stealing his wheels is probably cheaper
Gosh, I'm sorry for getting everyone going! :D
I don't buy many new bike parts, but usually just use recycled parts. Maybe you can find used parts or another "parts" trike?

Gosh, I'm sorry for getting everyone going! :D
I don't buy many new bike parts, but usually just use recycled parts. Maybe you can find used parts or another "parts" trike?
To be honest, I've kicked around buying a $300 trike that I could reuse a lot of parts I need. But in this case, I would just be making into another stock bike...not something I want to do. If I could find the three wheels I need (not new, barely working, and cheap), I could get everything else done. Unfortunately, these wheels only exist in my imagination. ‍♂️

To be honest, I've kicked around buying a $300 trike that I could reuse a lot of parts I need. But in this case, I would just be making into another stock bike...not something I want to do. If I could find the three wheels I need (not new, barely working, and cheap), I could get everything else done. Unfortunately, these wheels only exist in my imagination. ‍♂
Hmmm, tough :39:
Bike boom strikes again

Had another look around, there's really not much available. If you give up on 144 spoke wheels you can get them for around $50 each. But but then you give up on your vision.

How about plastic mags? $170 for all three.
https://www.amazon.com/TRIKE-MAG-WHL-RR-DRIVE-IDLER/dp/B000AOZ2FE

Last edited:
Hmmm, tough :39:
Bike boom strikes again

Had another look around, there's really not much available. If you give up on 144 spoke wheels you can get them for around $50 each. But but then you give up on your vision.

How about plastic mags? $170 for all three.
https://www.amazon.com/TRIKE-MAG-WHL-RR-DRIVE-IDLER/dp/B000AOZ2FE
Unfortunately, the two rear wheels are not hollow hub and would not work. But I do like your thinking.

UPDATE: I purchased two - 144 spoke 20" wheels off of eBay. I also decided to purchase a 26" springer bent fork for the front from Amazon. As far as the fork is concerned, I'm just testing it to see if I like the look of a bigger front wheel.

Could someone please tell me how to measure what size of handlebar stem that I need? I usually see 21.1mm or 22.1 or some metric size like that.

Thank you.

There are two critical stem measurements, the diameter of the stem tube and the size of the bar it can hold. Digital calipers can be found for under $20. Before I got mine, I used an adjustable wrench, and measured the gap with a ruler. Not too precise, though.
There are also length and height measurements, but that's more about the ergonomic fit than mechanical fitment

There are two critical stem measurements, the diameter of the stem tube and the size of the bar it can hold. Digital calipers can be found for under $20. Before I got mine, I used an adjustable wrench, and measured the gap with a ruler. Not too precise, though.
There are also length and height measurements, but that's more about the ergonomic fit than mechanical fitment
I bought digital calipers today. I'm just unsure of what exactly I'm supposed to be measuring. If I posted some photos of the items in question, could you or anyone else help me figure it out?

Thanks.

Agreed on keeping the removable bottom bracket piece. It looks specific to your trike, fits exactly as it should. You would not be able to find anything to replace it.
The crank looks like a standard 1pc. Should be able to replace it and the bottom bracket's bearings with just about anything. Also pedals, 1pc cranks use 1/2" thread pedals. Ditto for the quill stem, if you are lucky, any cruiser bike stem should fit, but to be sure, you can use your calipers to measure the diameter of the stem tube where it inserts into the fork. Seatpost is all about diameter as well, you have to match what you have.
I would probably clean up that parts pile and add it to the stash, that stuff ain't too bad.

Agreed on keeping the removable bottom bracket piece. It looks specific to your trike, fits exactly as it should. You would not be able to find anything to replace it.
The crank looks like a standard 1pc. Should be able to replace it and the bottom bracket's bearings with just about anything. Also pedals, 1pc cranks use 1/2" thread pedals. Ditto for the quill stem, if you are lucky, any cruiser bike stem should fit, but to be sure, you can use your calipers to measure the diameter of the stem tube where it inserts into the fork. Seatpost is all about diameter as well, you have to match what you have.
I would probably clean up that parts pile and add it to the stash, that stuff ain't too bad.
Yeah, I accidentally included the bottom bracket in the photo. All those bearings need to be replaced, especially the ones for the rear wheels. I have no idea what kind of bearings to replace them with. Also, the small wheel thingy that the chain goes on in the back of the bike. Another question, are all bike chains the same? I know the sprocket is a 44 tooth.

Whatever you guys tell me, I'm going to buy/do, so please help me and take part in this build! I'll give you all credit. Thanks again, guys!

If I didn't have this bottom bracket, what would I have to do? Just curious.
Make a new one by cutting one out of a bike and making it fit in the frame. Cut, weld, pray, recut, pay, pray.

And not all chains are the same. The ones for geared bikes are different, you want a single speed chain.
Bearings and rear sprocket are all foreign to me, I'm all about bikes, not trikes. I have no help with the rear end for you

Latest posts

Back