Virginia Creeper Trail, a review by this guy.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Last week I took my family on vacation to the mountains of North Carolina tucked right into the corner between Virginia and Tennessee. On the agenda was hiking, tubing, relaxing, but most exciting to me, riding the Virginia Creeper Trail.

The Virginia Creeper is a Rails to Trails, the railroad use to be called the Virginia Creeper trail for the way it creeped up and down the mountain. I am no expert on the history, but you can get a lot online. Nowadays the city of Damascus, VA is only being kept alive because of this trail. In town there are 7 outfitters that run multiple shuttles up to White Top to drop off riders and let them enjoy the easy 17 mile downhill. There are 2 more shuttle services outside of town.

Having the whole family and just 1 vehicle, we had to shuttle, but if you had someone willing to drop you off and pick you up, it would be real easy, wait till you see a van pulling a trailer full of bikes and follow them up to the drop off area, it won't take long, they were EVERYWHERE!

We went on a Tuesday, so there were a lot less people on the trail than on weekends. I was told that on weekends they even have park rangers on bikes helping people on the trail.

I rode my single speed rigid 29er, my wife her 7 speed cruiser with pedals removed for the 3 year old, my 9 year old daughter on her Giant 20" cruiser, and my 6 year old son on his 16" Dyno VFR.

If you don't have your own bike, all the shuttle services rent bikes, single speeds, tandems, tag-alongs, trailers, comfort bikes, mountain bikes, etc...

I was a bit skeptical of 17 miles of downhill. The furthest my kids have ridden with me is 5-6 miles, so whiny kids on short uphills haunted me. Turns out... it really is 17 miles of downhill. I don't remember pedaling with any real resistance the entire trail, there are flats, but if you kept up your momentum from the downhill, you could possibly coast the entire trail. I'd even like to try it on a scooter.

The trail is beautiful, too many bridges to count (though the are numbered), clear water creeks, awesome views, wildlife, etc... the trail is very very well maintained, very smooth covered in crushed gravel (like sand, but packs down hard).

Sometimes you are in National Park, other times private property, but it is marked. You can fish (trout stocked river), climb rocks, swim, and I even saw some people primitive camping.

We were told that it normally takes 2.5-3 hours, but you can really make a day of it if you stop and check out all the cool different spots, heck, you could make a weekend out of it.

There are also cafes, and other little stores along the trail selling bike parts and ice cream and souvenirs.

My kids did great, but for my 6 year old, it was the hardest, he is the lightest, on the lightest bike, with the smallest wheels, so keeping up with us coasting, he had to pedal quite a lot. At the end of the day, I hadn't broken a sweat.

I suspect the crowds of the weekend would be a little bit of a hassle since some parts of the trail are just wide enough for passing, but this could just be me since I'm so use to trail riding and seeing nobody the entire ride.

Would I do it again? In a minute. Now that I've seen it, I want to try to see how fast I can get down the mountain, have my wife drop me off with my geared mountain bike and see how much under 1 hour I can do it in.

I'm pretty sure everyone charged the same for shuttle, $15 per bike, of course rental would be more. So it cost me just over $60 to take my family, but it was worth it. I used the first outfitter I saw as we came into the city which was J.C. Outdoors, a Christian company. The guy who shuttled us up had been born and raised in Damascus and remembered the last day the train went up the mountain and was able to tell us a lot of local history.

I didn't take many photos, I was just taking it all in. If you get a chance, ride the Virginia Creeper Trail.

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

Nice writeup. Rail Trails are fun for the whole family.

My family and I are taking a little vacation up to Northern Idaho. I told them we have to do at least one bike day since there are over 90 miles of Rail Trail. We are doing the Hiawatha. It is 16 miles of downhill with trestles and tunnels (1.6 mile long tunnel) and a shuttle service back to the top.

Thanks for the review. It's on our list. Probably should have done it while in VA last year. Opted for the beach instead.
Great that your whole family could ride. This is just one of many reasons rails-to-trails are so great.

You guys and your go-pros... had to play the underwater card :lol:

Out of the 50+ rails-to-trails we've ridden, Route Of The Hiawatha is still one of our all time favorites.

Just watched the video myself, and each time the video fades to green, it is missing video. I allowed my video editing software to handle the upload and didn't realize the error till my wife asked about a clip that should have been in there. Ugh... now I have to fix it and re-upload for about 2 hours.

The fish underwater were completely unexpected as I couldn't see them from the surface, so I thought that was pretty cool.

Great thread - photos and video! Wish we lived closer. :(

the underwater clips were a really nice touch.

Latest posts

Back