• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED: EXCEL Raceur front brake setup for a Sears Gremlin (or similar era Huffy-built bike)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, newbie here (to the forum,. not to old bikes). I recently purchased a '70 Sears Gremlin, a duplicate of my first bike as a kid (at least the first one that didn't need training wheels). It has no front or rear caliper brake, just the coaster brake. My recollection is my old bike had a front (but no rear) caliper brake, which seems to contradict the period advertising I've seen. My guess is my Dad asked for it to be set up that way (or did so himself), as I have a vague memory of him telling me to use both front and rear brakes at the same time.

So I am looking for a front correct brake setup for the bike, which has a nice patina but is otherwise complete and (as far as I can tell) original down to the tires. My understanding is the front brake used on these was an EXCEL "Raceur"; I'd like to find a correct brake lever for it as well. Less worried about the cable, but if someone has a complete setup including that too, that'd be great. ;)

Please respond to this thread and / or PM me here or E-mail me at [email protected] if you can help. Thanks!

Attachments

• grem1.jpg
    grem1.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 76
  • grem2.jpg
    grem2.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 70
  • grem4.jpg
    grem4.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Latest posts