Wards Hawthorne(CWC)...Can't figure out year of make.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new on the forum, I actually just posted my first post in the "INTROS" area....:happy:

Here is the Wards Hawthorne...

and...Here is what I know...it has the "New Departure" Model D rear hub, skip tooth star sprocket, straight fender bracket, and the head badge mounting is on the top/bottom. The serial # is D52940 and it has the CWC stamp right next to the serial number.

I've read that the A, B, C, D, E serial numbers ran from the middle 30's until 39 and I thought it might be a 30's bike, but I saw these forks on some 40's(and even early 50's) bikes and not any on the later 30's models. Then...the mounting holes on the head badge of the Hawthornes from the late 30's and earily 40's seem to be mounted on the sides. So...after doing as much research as I can...I'm left a little stumped as to pinning the date of this bike down.

Here is a shot of the head badge after spraying it with a "little" carb cleaner. The pink paint literally flew off the bike, I've never seen anything like it!

Appreciate any help offered.

Best Regards,

Liquid Cool

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out the same thing the other post is mine. I'm thinking mid to late 40's like Wildcat stated in my thread. Good luck with the search.

Poorman

Thanks for the replies guys...

I read your thread Poorman, that frame sure looks identical to mine. If you do figure out what year you're dealing with...please let me know. I'll keep an eye on your thread as well.

One of the better threads I found that had what I believe is an identical bike to mine is this blue ladies bike. The owner came to the conclusion it's a '47/8 model. Has the same head badge, sprocket etc. You can be the judge...I kept a couple pictures of it because I like some of the parts on there. The rear carrier as well as the front light. Although, my front fender has a few extra holes up front, so I'm thinking it had some sort of light on it.

http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/hawthorne-serials.2697/

Although...at first glance of the above thread. I read RMS37's post and concluded I had an earlier frame from the 30's. So...I walked away quite confused.. Still not sure what to think.

Wildcat has a beautiful bike shown there as well. About what I'm shooting for I suppose...:). Those fenders look really clean, mine are a little banged up.

There are remnants of the original paint under the pink stuff, just not much. It's in the shadows on that bottom photo, but you can see the burgundy color quite clearly if you squint. :grin:.

Slightly off topic of this thread, but since we're talking about Hawthornes...do you guys know the seat post size? For the life of me, I can't figure out what's going on here. Is the seatpost as thick as a pencil? Is my seatpost frozen in place? is that a shim? Is it possible to fit a modern seat on this bike?

Best Regards,

Liquid Cool

Last edited:
Dr. Tankenstein...

Thanks. 5/8" sounds good. I've looked at alot of pictures/threads trying to figure that out. I'm wondering if this bike only takes the lucky 7 type seat post or a straight one. Most of the pictures I've found...all of them we're lucky 7 style.

Best,

Liquid Cool

Last edited:
'47, at the beginning of the "Cw" series, through '49. 1948-9 Hawthornes had an aluminum head badge. "ACw"series, 1950-1, had the brass red and blue M/W 'crest' badge. '52-6 had the two digit year before the Cw. -Adam

I have the seat post you need in my for sale thread , titled ~ CWC Hawthorne part out ~

Pepto Bismol...:grin:.

I was just muttering that to myself yesterday afternoon. As easy as the stuff came off, who knows...it might be Pepto Bismol...smile.

Adam, I really can't tell what metal the badge is made of and I'm not sure of the colors.

A.S. Boltnut...I'll take a look.

Thanks everyone for getting me straightened out on the seatpost issue. I appreciate the responses.

Liquid Cool

'47, at the beginning of the "Cw" series, through '49. 1948-9 Hawthornes had an aluminum head badge. "ACw"series, 1950-1, had the brass red and blue M/W 'crest' badge. '52-6 had the two digit year before the Cw. -Adam

I remember reading there was going to be a serial number chart made up for CWC a few years ago. But I still can't find a definitive list. Do you know if that ever came about?

I remember reading there was going to be a serial number chart made up for CWC a few years ago. But I still can't find a definitive list. Do you know if that ever came about?
No, but I've heard there will be a book coming out at some point. -Adam

Latest posts

Back