Washington DC SmartBike - Part Out Sale Soon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Picked up this unusual bike this weekend. Supposedly it was a Washington, DC Transit Bike.
The fender skirts are molded plastic and in good shape. It has a 24" Nexus 3 speed with a roller brake. Front wheel is 20". Apes with an integrated basket like rack.
Maybe I'll use this for the next Muscle Bike Build Off.
WP_20150412_10_05_29_Pro.jpg
WP_20150412_10_06_17_Pro.jpg
WP_20150412_10_06_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20150412_10_06_40_Pro.jpg
WP_20150412_10_07_07_Pro.jpg

Turns out this was part of DC's SmartBike program, which was the first government bike share program in the country in 2008. It failed, but was replaced with a different bike share program.

Here is one that someone posted on FB that they road in Spain. Turns out that multiple cities in the world used these as city bikes.
BicicletaBicing.JPG

Found this video (among others)

I think that is a cone of silence rear fender.

Go figure... I remember seeing those in DC. The idea was to get tourists and maybe commuters to rent the bikes, leave them at the nearest parking station. I remember seeing a lot of these bikes down by the Tidal Basin and National Mall.

That swept frame itself is not unappealing...just a little on the small side.

Yeah, but actually bigger than a muscle bike since is has that 24 on the back and it's actually sized for adults. I bet if I put a nanner on it, it would be a decent adult sized muscle bike (with some other changes too).

DC and smart should never be in the same sentence.
Gov program that failed, image that!
I could go on but this post would prob get pulled. I mean, I do live where I live.
Now back to bikes, that's a neat little bike.

Gotta tell you the current DC bike share program is sweet! I pay $8/mo for unlimited use :)30 min at a time). I've worked it into my commute b/c it beats heaving a personal bike into the belly of a commuter bus.

Just got finished breaking this bike down to part out. I'll post up pics in a For Sale thread in the next few days.
For now here is a preview of what I have for sale from the bike

index.php

Handlebars - SOLD
Fenders - $100 - available
Frame, Fork, Cranks, Chainguard, Seatpost, and Pedals - $75 - SOLD
Wheelset - $175 (24" Rear Nexus 3 Speed with shifter and roller brake plus 20" Front Wheel)
Shipping not included

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back