(WBO) Pathracer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the old racers myself,I have a automoto.
Those original handlebars sell often on ebay France.But they do get up into the 200euro range...
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

And is this what you are after?
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Ancien-Guido..._JG_Sports_Cyclisme_Vélos&hash=item35e310319e

And
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Ancien-Guido..._JG_Sports_Cyclisme_Vélos&hash=item35e310319e
i really like the bottom bicycle's handlebars, are they both yours? they both look great! unfortunately i can't come close to affording handlebars off ebay, a student life is not a luxurious life ;)

Last edited:
dLrbUe.jpg

One thing I do want is install a front brake for if (or when) the rear coaster break fails. But I don’t want a brake that uses cables (that would be too easy). I need something a little more suitable for the early 1900s. For years I have been looking at antique bicycles and had always wondered what those strange rubber padded spoon brakes are called (as seen in the black and white photo from 1903). It turns out they are what the German people call stempelbremse. Some other names are piston brake or stamp brake. They are not a spoon brake per say but work on the same principal of applying downward pressure on the tire via a steel rod and a rubber pad. I don’t know if they work all that well, especially during wet weather. Turns out they were used and manufactured right through ww2 so finding one should not be too difficult.

Nah !!! both off ebay... But the french have plenty of them...
corked-handlebars-and.jpg

This is my rare automoto,still in restoration stage...
17052012061.jpg

j4OMCr.jpg

This is one of the decals I will be using; it was designed in paint program and then sent off to a decal printing company. I thought about it for a while and have decided to customize this bike by putting my name on each side and making a custom head badge decal for the front. I decided to do my name in an art nouveau style to match the desired era of inspiration for the bike. I’m happy with the way they turned out but the hard part is getting them on the frame, they are incredibly thin and therefore unbelievably fragile. these are far thinner then the decals you usually get in airplane model kits, They are very much like working with wet tissue paper; they tear extremely easily so getting them on the frame is a slow and tedious process.
@Path_Racer Where did you have the decals made?

- Jinks

Nah !!! both off ebay... But the french have plenty of them...
corked-handlebars-and.jpg

This is my rare automoto,still in restoration stage...View attachment 8166
judging by the wine bottle opener im guessing thats a french bike? ;) funny enough, supposedly there is a cult following started in the early days of french bicycle racing of attaching champagne cork to ones bike. “In days of old, when bike riders were bold, and a fixed gear was all they’d need, with lots of torque they attached a cork, and rode away with speed.”
by the way you have a beautiful bike to restore! i really like that chain guard, has a real art nouveau look to it!

ceHS1W.jpg

Finally getting the frame put together with help from my father, after hammering the bearing races back into the frame we started to attach the front fork, and singe piece crank. I forgot to mention that while all of the bearings were removed, they were washed off using Varsol and then re packed with grease. I took the angle seat post and saddle off of my commuting bike and put it on this one to help give the bike a better posture for racing (I think I will remove the saddle though and get a seat that suits this bike a little better). Not to mention the crank sprocket has the CCM logo in it, I will have to do something about that.

I want to change the sprocket to something without the name CCM on the side, I found the perfect sprocket that I had in a parts box (I have no idea what it was from). Also it’s a 48 tooth chain, that’s up from the 46 from before. Unfortunately it does not fit the crank. So with help from my father and a file we will make it fit.
YTxRa8.jpg
o9osR5.jpg

Your new chainring is likely from a Sunshine bicycle from Waterloo, Ontario. (first pic)
It could possibly be Shelby as I think there might have been some shared supply history at one time.
SUNSHINEBIKE-2.JPG
lEO2Rr.jpg

Your new chainring is likely from a Sunshine bicycle from Waterloo, Ontario. (first pic)
It could possibly be Shelby as I think there might have been some shared supply history at one time.
SUNSHINEBIKE-2.JPG
lEO2Rr.jpg
thank you for finding that out, i was always wondering what it was meant for. my grandparents live in guelph (that is where i got this sprocket) but i had no idea that there was a bicycle made there. thanks again :)

I used to do some model railroading. There is a spray you can use on old decals before you get them wet, sprayed right on the sheet, that thickens them up a bit so they will slide off better... I can't remember what it is, but Google is your friend.

Carl.
i have some tester's decal bonder , i got it wir the tester's decale making modle kit

Its been a while since I posted due to life getting busy. Sorry for the long delay.

Got the front brake in the mail today!!! got a few extra brake pads to go with it. It even came with stickers and a little booklet filled with rat rod bikes people in Germany have built. I’ll need to brush up on my German reading. Anyways, pretty excited to get it on the bike, but I first have to reshape the handlebar lever to match my racing handlebars.

This type of brake matches the time period I’m trying to emulate but is still covered in bright shiny new chromium. I am thinking about getting some kind of a rubber coating on the end of the lever to help grip it.
WBNOg4.jpg

Latest posts

Back