(WBO) The Mojave Express (Some Assembly required!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only broke 8 spokes outta 32 on the front wheel last night as I disassembled it and cleaned up the ring.

I didn't pick enuff spokes for the back, thought they were the same, need 8 more. This cross lacing is cool, will put them back together this way.

Anyone know if the front axle is supposed to be missing a dust cover on one side? The front wheel has open bearings on one side...

The more I work on it, the more I like it as well. I did enjoy it rusty, but it cleaned up so nicely, looking at another many years this bike will be rolling thru.

Ya know I generally am not into British bikes but I like the look of this build ! [emoji106]
Mark
When I was a kid, I saw thes british bikes as heavy clunky relics and had no interest. Now I am older and have used bikes for more than just play, these old roadsters are fun to ride and go faster with less effort their other light weight counterparts... the kinetic energy of the bike weight works well... I wish I had acquired one earlier now.... :)

I have a bunch of roadies in the pile, American, Japanese and British I might have to build one up for old times sake.
So what model front hub do you need a dust shield for ?
It looks like your bars don't have any knurling at the stem area, I have a few bars like that and was wondering if they were British.
Mark

I
So what model front hub do you need a dust shield for ?
It looks like your bars don't have any knurling at the stem area, I have a few bars like that and was wondering if they were British.
Mark

The hub, is unmarked alloy. I assume it is phillips generic front hub, the rims are stamped dunlop, made in england.. bike world says they have a stock of rubber dust covers, was going to take the wheel in today to see if we can match one up.

The stem is knurled inside, the bars are smooth and unknurled. I've seen numerous european designs that don't have knurled bars. Old british, as well as some french and some bikes from holland...

She is lookin good.
I prefer the old steel bikes to the lightweight racers...They do pick up more spped on a downhill.
The french made beautiful old road bikes.

Very nice, it looks like you really thought this build out!

Very nice, it looks like you really thought this build out!
When I start a build, I will just lay the bike around the back portch and look at it for days until I see how I want it to look in my mind. Then it might change over time, like my mbbo build did.

This one is coming out just as I pictured it, sans front light and speedo... hadn't seen the right ones at the right price yet...

Latest posts

Back