weight

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone ompared the weight between a camelback schwinn with 27 inch wheels compaired to a new 700c hybrid?

I've cut the weight of many ef Schwinns by about 9 pounds by taking off the especially heavy Schwinn steel rims, those useless Huret derailleurs and barely functioning Weinman brakes. From about 42 to 33 pounds or so. The camelback frames are usually the smallest size in each model that came in the camelback version. Taller frames would be even heavier.

I just happen to have a completely torn down 22" varsity frame and fork (only, no other parts).. 10.7 pounds.

I had a camelback Racer, frame weighed 9.9 pounds (no fork ). it felt much heavier since it was rather small.

A typical modern mid-range aluminum frame weights about 5 pounds. Old school Reynolds 531 racing frame sets were about 5.5 pounds. 20 years ago the Italians were making aluminum race frames under 1 kg. (2.2 pounds). Those broke so often, the UCI imposed the minimum weight rule for race bikes. About 14.7 pounds. Now days entire carbon race bikes can be under 10 pounds (not race legal).

"Hybrids" is a pretty broad category. They range from sub 20 to 45 pounds. The cheaper "comfort" hybrids are still pretty heavy. To keep the weight down avoid those shock forks (heavy), shock seat posts (heavy), tilt adjustable stems (heavy) and those big fat padded seats with springs (heavy). Plenty of cheap wally world versions around that don't hold up well. Mongooses, Schwinns, Hypers, DiamondBacks, etc, that are typical bso quality. There are also 26" wheel hybrids, good for towns with lousy streets.

Sounds like I'm Trek fan. But IMO, Trek made some of the best hybrids. I think their hybrids are the best bikes they made/sold. I've owned about 10 other brands but sold them all. Bianchi, Bridgestone, mongoose, hypers, diamondback, and some completely forgettable.

My favorite riding hybrid is a 1996 Trek 730. Tig welded Cromo steel frame. One of the smoothest riding bikes I've ever owned. Surely lighter than many of the new aluminum comfort hybrids. I changed the shifters to rapid fire and put on some high quality cnc pedals. The next upgrade will be the brakes, from cantis to V-brakes.

I also have a 1995 Trek 750 hybrid (cromo steel frameset) set up for touring with racks and fenders. 75 miles a day is no effort on it fully loaded with panniers. I ride that on tours with my wife. I recently upgraded her bike from a Trek 720 to a Trek 730 that fit her better. She liked the both of them.

I had this Trek 7500 FX. 22 pounds total. The seals in the original headset were great at keeping the water in so it rusted out the lower headset. I replaced the steel headset with an aluminum headset (red). That surely cut the weight by an ounce or two. The original "race" wheels kept the weight down. Sold it because it was too small for me and like most aluminum frames, it had a harsher ride and wasn't good for racks and fenders. Light and fast but that's not what I want in a hybrid. I have road bikes for going fast.
50943745358_d119b397c1_b.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back