Weird Unicycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've already been known for ages amongst my friend group as an easy mark to unload rescued/exotic/otherwise weird animals on, but now I've apparently also become That Person for weird bikes and bike-adjacent items. (How I got a Huffy Green Machine and a 18/12 Penny Farthing.)

Anyone know anything about this unicycle? Never seen a frame like this before, and had no idea that Mongoose was ever even in that game. Can't find any YT videos of it being ridden. 20x3 moderately fat tire, standard fixie/unicycle hub. Nothing special about the saddle, cranks, or pedals as far as I can tell. Can't for the life of me figure out why the frame is Like That.

Don't want to mess with the frame, but I'm thinking of setting up a build like a swing bike/tandem unicycle (yes, they're a thing) if I can machine the right type of clamp at the end of a swing arm from the other half.

291443323_10105658661204542_2772210699428912439_n.jpg

Advertising copy:
"Show off your mad unicycle skills with the 20-inch Mongoose Squid, which gets its name from the uniquely designed four-arm tentacle frame in black with scrolling golden accents that stretch down from the seat to the hub.Because of the frame design, it's a great choice for commuting and locking up using a standard bike lock. A fun way to travel around town, the Squid features a 3-inch wide slick tire that's perfect for hugging city streets, a 36-spoke, heavy duty 20-inch wheel, pedals with integrated reflectors, and shiny chrome front grab handle and back bumper built into the comfortably padded seat--great for new riders learning to ride a unicycle"

Ah yes, the ole circus bike

View attachment 198624
Different linkage, but yeah!

Heh, I'm well-acquainted with Bicymple. Contacted them for a pedal hub when I was building up the Punk Penny, after finding out they were not only freewheel but also disc-brake ready. I mentioned them to the Freewheel Unicycle group on FB and they CLEANED THEM OUT of parts within a week. X3

Both their standard and their 'Play' variant look like a lot of fun. If only I could have found out about them years ago when they still had the GEARED hub. T_T (RIP Schlumpf)

Advertising copy:
"Show off your mad unicycle skills with the 20-inch Mongoose Squid, which gets its name from the uniquely designed four-arm tentacle frame in black with scrolling golden accents that stretch down from the seat to the hub.Because of the frame design, it's a great choice for commuting and locking up using a standard bike lock. A fun way to travel around town, the Squid features a 3-inch wide slick tire that's perfect for hugging city streets, a 36-spoke, heavy duty 20-inch wheel, pedals with integrated reflectors, and shiny chrome front grab handle and back bumper built into the comfortably padded seat--great for new riders learning to ride a unicycle"
Oh! Well that makes sense.

'Scrolling golden accents' my sweet tuchus... they're decals with no top coat over them.

I think it was sold at Walmart. A lot of Walmart bikes, especially Mongoose bikes have weird frame designs to get more buyers.

Latest posts

Back