were do you drawl the line? how many bikes are 1 to many?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have three barns and yet a mere total of six bikes plus another bike that we let a friend store there - which sits alone on its 20" wheels in the big barn, overshadowed by the trailer we let another farmer keep in there. Other than that I have two frames which regularly get built - and then stripped back down when one of my other bikes needs something. I have another four frames, essentially dead bikes, that I might saw something off or rebuild if I happen across something appropriate - like a fork for the otherwise good Amsterdam frame.

In the spring I will be selling one of the six, but at the moment it is the only one currently residing in my garage, so my only ride in the city. Three of the bikes are Romet Jubilat 2's, folders on 24" wheels, one modded as an off-roader with coaster brake, another as an off-roader with 3-speed derailleur and the third almost standard with high rise bars. Then there is the Romet Wigry, my minimalist and hence easily transportable folder on 20" wheels, the Romet Turing 2 on 26" wheels and due to become my city rider, and the Kross MTB - which sees most riding action as tarmac is at a premium in our end-of-the-road village while field and forest are not.

I love looking at adverts for bikes, but the only purchases I make now are for bikes I will strip for parts that I can use to change or repair my current bikes. Most of my six are rideable and easily accessible, four of them living in my coalshed workshop, so within easy reach if I want to do something on them. I know that if I had any more I would just do less with and to them. Other than that I have loads of pictures of Wigry, Jubilat and Turing bikes I come across, so much easier to store.

When I moved last year, had one bedroom in house dedicated to just bikes, starting to double stack, had a sort of an OMG I'm a hoarder moment when I couldn't access some stuff in the room. Figured I'd get rid of some stuff at a garage sale but still barely made a dent, 3 garage sales later still had pretty much a ton of random parts which some dude paid me almost nothing to pack up and haul (to TJ most likely, he probably made a killing). Don't know how many cruisers etc but 15 likely in various states plus piles of parts. About the same time realized I didn't "need" 8 surfboards and a ton of other crap. Now down to 4 mountain bikes and 1 surfboard. Sold my last cruiser a few weeks ago (think I had in a BO as "murdered out roadmaster", a repop ) to some dude that was going to motorize it. The steel MTBs are next, want to get down to just 2 bikes. Just trying to simplify things anymore.

Ya it's a bit full and that's just one shed. there's more

DSC01173.JPG

You guys have issues. Hahahahaha
You think?

I prefer the cheaper end of the market, as it frees me of any guilt in stripping them down to parts - then I store the old frames together, clean up all the parts and store them by type: all the derailleur parts in one box, chainwheels in another and so on, often with a note on it so I know how many teeth if it is a chainwheel, tube diameter if it is a seat post etc. Even the wheels are stripped down to hub, spokes and rims.

When I then build or repair a bike I then have everything to hand, and in good order.

AM-JKLVFFWwmaLuiZvRZnXIJe6izmfM_K2Ig0NFQ3lry14va6cAoA72aERaSx9Qeo_WbvhpqMFvqGEj0cH-zCsVpCrFOtRGiOK0rSOzfvB16yxYeYjPft958MqpO8l1lamcqP4_XpDfqWJpaz66a7XQtlJpxkQ=w795-h955-no

This is part way through building my new workshop, but already I have undercoated wheel rims hanging there ready for future needs, boxes for brake components, for hubs, for gear change components, etc.

The more you break things down, the less room they take to store, and the less connection they have with the bike they came from... ;)

I currently have my hardtail mountain bike, a gravel bike, BMX, an old mtb converted to commuter, a drift trike and a single speed cyclocross bike that lives on the trainer.

Plans: Currently collecting parts to build a rigid bikepacking/mountain bike, a klunker styled single speed mountain bike, make the single speed cyclocross bike into a race bike/single speed gravel bike (700c for cx racing and 650b for gravel), with spare parts laying around and a cheap frame build a geared bike to live on the trainer and build a true old school klunker.

So that would be 10 bikes which honestly feels a bit stressful for me. Plus a strider bike for the kid and two bikes for the wife...

May one day add a full sus mountain bike and either a monstercross or vintage road bike rebuild. Also it would be cool to do one of the Bike Offs. But I really struggle with going to that number. I don't like the idea of one maintaining that number of bikes and two not getting to ride all the bikes.

I currently have my hardtail mountain bike, a gravel bike, BMX, an old mtb converted to commuter, a drift trike and a single speed cyclocross bike that lives on the trainer.

Plans: Currently collecting parts to build a rigid bikepacking/mountain bike, a klunker styled single speed mountain bike, make the single speed cyclocross bike into a race bike/single speed gravel bike (700c for cx racing and 650b for gravel), with spare parts laying around and a cheap frame build a geared bike to live on the trainer and build a true old school klunker.

So that would be 10 bikes which honestly feels a bit stressful for me. Plus a strider bike for the kid and two bikes for the wife...

May one day add a full sus mountain bike and either a monstercross or vintage road bike rebuild. Also it would be cool to do one of the Bike Offs. But I really struggle with going to that number. I don't like the idea of one maintaining that number of bikes and two not getting to ride all the bikes.
ya I have two major issues
#1 to many cant ride every single one. once in a week / month .

#2 some were really really hard to find at that price in that sweet / nice of shape and I built them back up. with some really good hard to get parts. I got threw friend deals, trades, swap meet scores. meaning I built a bike that would have cost around 1200.00 to 1400.00 if bought all new at full retail prices. yet have only $400 to $500 in the build. so say I do sell it. for half of what I payed IE quick/fire sell. good it's one gone. so what if I see it resold later way way way more. but next summer I start really missing it. just sold another one. flush with cash and a empty parking space. want to build a copy of it. find a frame like it. for 3 times what I scored the other one for. I know I will not get the parts any were near what I payed to build it first time around. prices are still going up on some parts. so I decide just to keep it.:(

Why most of my bikes are singlespeed or brakeless fixed gear. Air in the tires and lube on the chain for the most part.
That is fair. Also why quite a few of mine with end up single speed but even without that, I am not a big fan of owning things I never use or don't have a specific use for so I don't think I could stand to have as many bikes as I mentioned sitting around. We will see though cause to some extent I do see a use for a few of the other bikes I mentioned.

I tend to sell anything I don’t ride fairly often, because I feel like it’s a waste. I can’t do that with the kids or wife’s bikes. I’m about to chop up a woman’s frame I forgot I had down there 🤣
Same here

This is after a big clean out, I still have about 10 bikes under the house too plus a trailer with around 5 full working bikes but need to be restored/fixed up and maybe 6 to 7 frames plus tons of wheels/tyres parts, admittedly the is a piles worth for scrap as it's sat out in the rain too long, I would say including the families bike which I buy for them I would have 30 or so rollers and multitudes of parts, I buy for no set reason, its a combination of its cool or its cheap or its what I need or its free, recently I have been finishing my friends builds and getting nice frames/parts for payment, it's all good
IMG_20210826_150446.jpg

For me its about use: I ride ‘em. And I’ll have specific bikes for specific uses. I don’t care if they are single speed, rusted out and weigh 50 pounds. I’ll ride it, and not just around the block.

I will regularly take a bike that looks like trash, have it nicely tuned and rip it for 15 and 20 mile rides. (I’ve literally pulled bikes out of the trash on a weekend and trained on it the following Saturday)

other times I’ll use a bike for family or club rides or running errands On. I’ll also build and give away, or keep as a “spare” for when people come to visit or the neighbors need to borrow. I don’t have a ton of bikes, but I don’t think I could use many more than 30.

I do frequently have more bikes than that…. Maybe another 10 or 15, but I will list them for sale then use them until a buyer finds it.

I tend to sell anything I don’t ride fairly often, because I feel like it’s a waste. I can’t do that with the kids or wife’s bikes. I’m about to chop up a woman’s frame I forgot I had down there 🤣
Thanks to this thread, I have realized that I am approaching "garage saturation". It has absorbed almost as much as is possible. Soon, if one comes in, one will be forced out.
Same here
Quitters... :bigsmile:

Latest posts

Back