were do you drawl the line? how many bikes are 1 to many?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
basically do you have a set number of bikes? or do you just add 1 more if the bike for sale is a fare price and cool looking. .how do you decide on a set numbers made. what bikes do you keep? what ones do you let go of?

I know I have way more than I really need. but it's so hard to decide what cool finds / buys or builds. I keep and what gets resold. how do's one do it?

You can always fit...'one more'.

I began to accept that I may have a problem on two occasions.

1) when my 'collection' went two high...that's a good indication that you have gone from collector to hoarder

2) when I realized that my choices on which bikes I would be riding depended on how many hours it would take to get them out of the hoard/dungeon/pile

Like the Lovin' Spoonful sang on their 1st album:

Did you ever have to make up your mind?
Pick up on one and leave the other one behind
It's not often easy, and not often kind
Did you ever have to make up your mind?

lovin spoonful.jpg

When I was moving from Mayport, Florida, I sold most everything in a package deal. The guy's truck was full and I still had a half garage full of stuff. We kept loading though. It looked like the beverly hillbillies as he left.
29418_4777020a2377db547626dde81aa562ad.jpg

Me to wife:
"I think we need to build a shed, the tools and equipment in the garage..."
Her:
"Don't bother me with whatever excuse you're about to make. It's for more bikes, isn't it?"
We are now in the planning phase for a new shed. It's never too many.

You can always fit...'one more'.

I began to accept that I may have a problem on two occasions.

1) when my 'collection' went two high...that's a good indication that you have gone from collector to hoarder

2) when I realized that my choices on which bikes I would be riding depended on how many hours it would take to get them out of the hoard/dungeon/pile
ya that's wear I'm at. if I want to ride a certain bike that day. I may have to move more than 5bikes to get to it.

Me to wife:
"I think we need to build a shed, the tools and equipment in the garage..."
Her:
"Don't bother me with whatever excuse you're about to make. It's for more bikes, isn't it?"
We are now in the planning phase for a new shed. It's never too many.
did that. but I hit the big five zero 50. years old. started thinking can I get by with less bikes. so tried yo sell just 3. no ripping the Band-Aid wright off. just 3 see how it feels/ go's.

could not decide what 3 go. love them all. I rarely buy bikes now or stuff just to flip for cash. buy it only if I like it. so if it do's not sell. I am ok with that. used to buy just because price was cheep. thinking save the one part on it. I wanted for a build. sell the rest. but got stuck with lots of junk parts.
any way I listed like 8 bikes. action style on ebay. let the bidders / buyers decide what three go away.. :eek: well 3 of my nicest ones left me.. sold for less then I would of had in them. if I had payed full retail for all parts. so on one hand I made all my money back plus some extra cash. but if I payed full retail not Bargen hunted the stuff at yard sales/ swap meet. would have lost money. plus I spent some of the cash bought / brought home five more project bikes :oops:

Last edited:
Last bike I acquired was a trade so a lateral move. :crazy2:
Lack of space is why I have not been doing a lot of bike building lately. I have the bikes I have bought over the last 7 years, plus many bikes my late brother owned, His widow kept her favorite bikes or I'd have even more. I did strip and scrap quite a few lesser quality bikes and took maybe 20 frames to be recycled!
That's only part of the problem, I have inherited a couple of large tool boxes, and boxes of bike parts to integrate into my stash.
To be honest I'm sure I hoarded the garage/shop till there was no space left. And there were boxes of tools and tractor parts in there the late brother in law left behind over 25 years ago!

Watched the Hoarders TV series last winter and through the disgust I saw myself and I had to change.
All I can tell you is how my mind worked was,"Emergency storm repair ! - need to fix barn door, screwdriver is on big workbench", I had no organization. Next time I looked for the screwdriver, it's not on the bench? - Oh ya I left it in the barn - and so on.
I really think the big problem is when the tools got all co mingled in boxes and bags they were just "lost to my mental Rolodex".
The strangest thing is the piles just seemed to not exist - I stepped around them and added to them - but it is just weird to think about it now.
Anyways, 1 load to the scrap iron place - $105 :) and 1 load to recycling and couple burn piles later things are getting there. The best thing is all the good stuff I found !

Last bike I acquired was a trade so a lateral move. :crazy2:
Lack of space is why I have not been doing a lot of bike building lately. I have the bikes I have bought over the last 7 years, plus many bikes my late brother owned, His widow kept her favorite bikes or I'd have even more. I did strip and scrap quite a few lesser quality bikes and took maybe 20 frames to be recycled!
That's only part of the problem, I have inherited a couple of large tool boxes, and boxes of bike parts to integrate into my stash.
To be honest I'm sure I hoarded the garage/shop till there was no space left. And there were boxes of tools and tractor parts in there the late brother in law left behind over 25 years ago!

Watched the Hoarders TV series last winter and through the disgust I saw myself and I had to change.
All I can tell you is how my mind worked was,"Emergency storm repair ! - need to fix barn door, screwdriver is on big workbench", I had no organization. Next time I looked for the screwdriver, it's not on the bench? - Oh ya I left it in the barn - and so on.
I really think the big problem is when the tools got all co mingled in boxes and bags they were just "lost to my mental Rolodex".
The strangest thing is the piles just seemed to not exist - I stepped around them and added to them - but it is just weird to think about it now.
Anyways, 1 load to the scrap iron place - $105 :) and 1 load to recycling and couple burn piles later things are getting there. The best thing is all the good stuff I found !
#! ya thinking . I can get by with 1 crusty crappy ugly looking rusty bike. to ride in ran or when, I want to lock it in a bike wrack and not worry . will some one try to steel; it.. it would look like barf but run perfect. IE the rust would be camo hiding a nice riding good bike..

#2 I could also do with just 1 high speed geared bike. IE 1 road bike. wright now I have 3 plus 2 fix gear 700C single speed bullets.

#3 then I think got to keep 1 rough rider off road bike. like say a mountain bike or 26" BMX. for dirt trail riding.

#4 then I really need 1 three wheeler or cruiser with baskets. sorta a grousers getter bike. for when I need to pick some thing up but don't want to fight traffic . so leve car home take bike lane.

#5 must have at the very lest 1 cool stretch bike just for cruising for fun.

#6 I could never give up all my BMX bikes.
so keep some of my child hood bikes I have hung on to all these years ? like 4 must keep bikes. then think I am not a kid any more so well maybe keep the new 22 wheeled BMX. well if I keep that. might as well keep some of the 24" bmx I have to. better size bike for say a adult. then think would be a shame to get rid of that or this bike. they were not easy to find in that nice a shape. plus cant sell that one they only made X number of them. if I sell and regret it. how much will it cost down the road to rebuild one like it???

see the list gets smaller. but I start inventing ways this or that one needs to stay. so the keep list gets bigger again.😞

After that jungle yard haul, I've reached my limit at about 70. In the midst of a personal rides purge to thin that part of the herd. Working on getting it down to about 20 total around the house, including ordered bikes.
I used to be around 80 bikes. chopped that down to 40. then 20 but some time around 15 found some killer deals on bike frames I always wanted and some I never know I wanted. till I seen them for the fist time. so back up around 40 something.

I average around 40. 30 of which can be aired up n ridden anytime. The others are longer term projects that need either unique parts or just full tunes. I am never in a rush and am a penny pincher so waiting is the capital in the bank. Mine are what I can ride n I don’t bother with any I don’t fit. So I have limitations on what I buy or trade for. Today a Shelby flying cloud with the dog eh hem came my way cheap and I could not say no. This dosent happen all the time but it has been over a year since I bought so I don’t feel bad at all.

I'm over that line now. I need to thin the herd. I'm in the process of listing some of my past BO and Build Challenge bikes. They are not getting ridden. Hoping to sell 4-5 which will put me at about 15 bikes.

Well ... I had to dig four out of the dungeon for a trip this weekend...

This was after I removed a half dozen, plus air compressor, plus radio flyer, plus 3.5ton jack..

View attachment 173548

...good news, I ran across a bunch of stuff I forgot I had :blush: .
I could spend some time digging around in there!!!

Well ... I had to dig four out of the dungeon for a trip this weekend...

This was after I removed a half dozen, plus air compressor, plus radio flyer, plus 3.5ton jack..

View attachment 173548

...good news, I ran across a bunch of stuff I forgot I had :blush: .
ya I have that same issue. was moving 7 bikes. to get the one I wanted out. then got side tracked. thought if I clean and rearrange things here. maybe it will not bee so hard to dig a ride out. found stuff (bike parts) in boxes. that I know I just bought one like it off ebay. because I forgot I had one and needed one.

Latest posts

Back