were do you drawl the line? how many bikes are 1 to many?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me its about use: I ride ‘em. And I’ll have specific bikes for specific uses. I don’t care if they are single speed, rusted out and weigh 50 pounds. I’ll ride it, and not just around the block.

I will regularly take a bike that looks like trash, have it nicely tuned and rip it for 15 and 20 mile rides. (I’ve literally pulled bikes out of the trash on a weekend and trained on it the following Saturday)

other times I’ll use a bike for family or club rides or running errands On. I’ll also build and give away, or keep as a “spare” for when people come to visit or the neighbors need to borrow. I don’t have a ton of bikes, but I don’t think I could use many more than 30.

I do frequently have more bikes than that…. Maybe another 10 or 15, but I will list them for sale then use them until a buyer finds it.
Yer I'm like that with my bikes, different bikes for different types of riding, I've got, ss/fixed for commute work, stretch low lows and choppers for fun cruising, range of mtbs for hitting the hills, trusted rides for all occasions

This is after a big clean out, I still have about 10 bikes under the house too plus a trailer with around 5 full working bikes but need to be restored/fixed up and maybe 6 to 7 frames plus tons of wheels/tyres parts, admittedly the is a piles worth for scrap as it's sat out in the rain too long, I would say including the families bike which I buy for them I would have 30 or so rollers and multitudes of parts, I buy for no set reason, its a combination of its cool or its cheap or its what I need or its free, recently I have been finishing my friends builds and getting nice frames/parts for payment, it's all good
View attachment 173735
ya kinda same boat for me. all the local bike shops have my cell phone number. so when customers buy a new part. but don't want the old take off parts back. they call me to come and get it all free. or I just have to drag that bike home some one threw out trash day. if it has decent parts I will drag it home. take off what I want. then save most the rest. to fix down on their luck peoples bikes. just to be nice.

For me its about use: I ride ‘em. And I’ll have specific bikes for specific uses. I don’t care if they are single speed, rusted out and weigh 50 pounds. I’ll ride it, and not just around the block.

I will regularly take a bike that looks like trash, have it nicely tuned and rip it for 15 and 20 mile rides. (I’ve literally pulled bikes out of the trash on a weekend and trained on it the following Saturday)

other times I’ll use a bike for family or club rides or running errands On. I’ll also build and give away, or keep as a “spare” for when people come to visit or the neighbors need to borrow. I don’t have a ton of bikes, but I don’t think I could use many more than 30.

I do frequently have more bikes than that…. Maybe another 10 or 15, but I will list them for sale then use them until a buyer finds it.
Nice I like the way you think.

Quitters... :bigsmile:
it's not quitting. its management of the stock pile lol.
wish I had that will power. I don't. if it's free or for sale cheep local or shipped. I just may bring it home :headbang:
trouble is I kinda still live at home. IE I rent the house I grew up in . from my parents who move to a bigger house. so rent is nice and cheep. but only if I fallow. 2 mane rules. #1 I can't bring home so much stuff. the yard/ place. looks like Sandford and Sons house/ lot.

#2 keep it clean bug free. or we will sell it.

I should have said "bicycle saturation". Dragged this home today:
IMG_20210923_164034778.jpg

Trikes don't count, right?

at one time I had 3 and a half trikes. a fold up model made in to a low rider. a stretch home welded chopper one. still have it. a all stock Schwinn version. a frame and bolt on rear end. it was getting to be to many I thought. so sold all but 1 then filled the space with around 12 two wheel bikes :rofl:
I should have said "bicycle saturation". Dragged this home today:View attachment 173905
Trikes don't count, right

Last edited:
ya kinda same boat for me. all the local bike shops have my cell phone number. so when customers buy a new part. but don't want the old take off parts back. they call me to come and get it all free. or I just have to drag that bike home some one threw out trash day. if it has decent parts I will drag it home. take off what I want. then save most the rest. to fix down on their luck peoples bikes. just to be nice.
Yer there was a bike shop a hundred metres away from my work and asked if I could go through thier bin round the back as I noticed old bikes being piled up, they said go for it as they have to pay to dump it so the more I took the less they dumped, its amazing what bike shops throw away, another bike shop closed down once and they threw out about 3 big skip bins of stock, shame no one told me, and yer I end up building basic rides for cousins and needy people sometimes too

Like the Lovin' Spoonful sang on their 1st album:

Did you ever have to make up your mind?
Pick up on one and leave the other one behind
It's not often easy, and not often kind
Did you ever have to make up your mind?

View attachment 173391
Sometimes there's one with big ol tires, cute as a bunny
With fenders down to here, and hardly any money
And just when you think she's that one in the world
Your heart gets stolen by some rusty little pearl
And then you know you better make up your mind

As many have said, space is the main factor.
I flip bikes to get money for the bikes I want. So there’s usually quite a few floating around.
I usually hover in the 60-70 bikes (keepers) and grab ones to flip whenever the opportunity presents itself.
However, my riding has changed a lot lately, and I find myself only really riding a handful of my bikes.
Narrowing my focus and literally making a list of what I wanted helped a lot. Since acquiring number one on the list, my hunting has subsided quite a bit. And the last two remaining are at a price point I don’t think I’d jump to anytime soon.

I am however about to purge some to fund the new full suspension I just pre ordered 😬

As many have said, space is the main factor.
I flip bikes to get money for the bikes I want. So there’s usually quite a few floating around.
I usually hover in the 60-70 bikes (keepers) and grab ones to flip whenever the opportunity presents itself.
However, my riding has changed a lot lately, and I find myself only really riding a handful of my bikes.
Narrowing my focus and literally making a list of what I wanted helped a lot. Since acquiring number one on the list, my hunting has subsided quite a bit. And the last two remaining are at a price point I don’t think I’d jump to anytime soon.

I am however about to purge some to fund the new full suspension I just pre ordered 😬
Yup its definitely not like collecting Hotwheels where you can have 2000 cars and it only takes up one wall😁

Latest posts

Back