were do you drawl the line? how many bikes are 1 to many?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife is happy with my messy catastrophe garage. If I'm collecting bikes, I'm not collecting other vices. I'm down to one or two of those...
Maybe three.
I wouldn't say Mrs Awesome is "happy" with the garage space and bike parts takeover, but it's cheaper and better than motorcycle racing, drugs, hanging out at the bar, gentlemen's lounges, etc......

Other vices are so bothersome. I do have a bit of a shoe collection issue though :39:

Despite my 8 or so bikes, I try to keep it in check. I aim to have one or two of each "genre" so at least my collection is versatile. If I don't ride something for a while or have duplicates I'll usually try to sell.

And of course, I'm always looking! I need to get back into a Stingray but man those have become very expensive and hard to find within the last year or so!

I wouldn't say Mrs Awesome is "happy" with the garage space and bike parts takeover, but it's cheaper and better than motorcycle racing, drugs, hanging out at the bar, gentlemen's lounges, etc......

Other vices are so bothersome. I do have a bit of a shoe collection issue though :39:
Not impacting Mrs Awesome's personal storage space, I hope?

I keep 2 of my bikes hung on our garage wall, along with my wife's. The other two are downstairs. But our garage is full of woodworking tools and supplies. I have a small shop in our basement, but all of the really messy stuff goes on out in the garage. Although I clean up and put everything away when I'm finished, my wife has commented more than once about the dust on her bicycle. I'm due for another deep clean out there. I think that will be today, as it's going to be unseasonably warm here.

In the process of tidying the outbuilding, my horde posed for a selfie.
The horde 2021.jpg

“I can make room for it!”
Once or twice a year I go through all my stuff and get rid of anything I haven’t used since my last “purge”. That’s also when I get excited about unfinished projects. I make exceptions here and there, but I’m about due for a “gear purge” because my carport is starting to look like a hoard.

I'm down to about two dozen here, but was up to over 100 at one point, but to be fair, I cleaned out an old shop a while back and dragged home about 50 bikes and 30 or so frames. It was basically a full 24ft box truck in all.
Then I went back and cleaned up the guy's yard, which meant hauling another load of rusted beyond repair junk bikes to the scrap yard.

Mine are spread out between a spare room upstairs, a few in the attic, a few in the shed, and the rest in the basement, which looks pretty much like a vintage bike shop these days. It used to be roughly a quarter of the basement, but its spread out now to more like three quarters of the basement now.
Mostly balloon tire bikes and English three speeds, with a few older 10 speeds in the mix.

When your ceiling and floor are both full, you have room for 1 more

I have a few builds that are stalled out mainly on where to keep them.

Wife has 1 bike, she bought new. Fits perfect. Doesn't want another.

Kids each have alum frame bmx and a multi gear mountain bike type rider, then since they are growing we have the next size up on frames that are either built or in process.

I have mountain bike, 24" bmx, alum bmx race bike, skate park bike. Found another 24" BMX. I do have others in another shop. Have 2 mountain bikes I picked up cheap over the winter to tube and sell this spring.

But the question does get asked. How many can you ride. Why are there so many. Will narrow it down this summer.

Latest posts

Back