whant elec fat bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
didnt know where t put this but here goes,im 75 yrs old,wanna buy an electric fat bike this one,i want to get some kind of towing ins in case it breakes down some where,they are heavy and i would need a way to ger it back home,thanks

Attachments

• 00202_1C3ANxwrOeRz_0jm0ew_600x450.jpg
    00202_1C3ANxwrOeRz_0jm0ew_600x450.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 01313_gO6K4TEGf4lz_0jm0ew_600x450.jpg
    01313_gO6K4TEGf4lz_0jm0ew_600x450.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 55
Good opportunity for readers to share their towing insurance experience . I have AAA auto ins. and bicycle towing is included at no extra charge. The coverage availability varies by region . You have to give them a pick up location that the tow can find. Due to covid, the policy is that you can not ride in the cab of the truck . They claim that the discounts on parts, service , and vehicle purchases are also available for bicycles.

If that is a used bike that you are thinking about buying , the general rule of thumb for value is that a used battery has no value. Many makes of E-Bikes have what are called proprietary battery and control systems. This locks you in to buying a new battery from the E-Bike manufacturer .

I’m 76, my riding friends are in their 70s. One 75 year old has an electric fat bike. It works well and he built it himself 7 years ago. It’s a central drive, pedal assist, and his only problem is he wears out chainrings. He has to replace one yearly and do other cog and chain repair a little more often than on a regular fat bike. He made it very powerful, I’ve seen it burn rubber when he’s off it and spins the crank rapidly with his foot with no weight on the bike. The only problem I’ve seen is that a few times he has been trail riding and the battery went dead. It’s very heavy and difficult to push on narrow trails with steep hills. He has had to push from the bush at least once that I know of. You can pedal it with a dead battery but that’s hard even on level ground. I’m surprised that it works so well on winter snow bike trails. The battery lasts for our typical 2 - 3 hour eight to twelve mile night rides. You don’t want to be stranded miles from a road at night in winter having to spend hours pushing a heavy bike. I would rate the overall reliability as good if you do the mechanical maintenance and watch your battery charge level. He is very difficult for me to keep up with on my regular fat bike on winter trails. I’m really pushing the pedals, constantly keeping him in view and not daydreaming or I’ll never keep up. He appears to be easily pedaling, almost loafing. I think you’ll like it. One caveat, if it’s an inexpensive Chinese bike, I would pass on it. Many bike shops won’t let them in the door because of battery fires. Shops have burned down so people won’t work on them. Their dangerous to your home.

First of all I love the fat bikes and I'm gonna convert mine into an ebike, I have the mongoose dolomite fat tire bike. It's totally peppered with cheap parts, but I like the frame and wheels.

I bring this up because I read the part about batteries. It's the type of battery the chinese bikes come with which is the Lipo battery, complete fire hazard especially when their voltage gets to low and left that way, generally they will flame up.

The battery you want is the LiPo4 battery, they don't flame up, they vent a sweet smelling smoke then they die, I know I killed a few of them lol.
I hope that helped...

First of all I love the fat bikes and I'm gonna convert mine into an ebike, I have the mongoose dolomite fat tire bike. It's totally peppered with cheap parts, but I like the frame and wheels.

I bring this up because I read the part about batteries. It's the type of battery the chinese bikes come with which is the Lipo battery, complete fire hazard especially when their voltage gets to low and left that way, generally they will flame up.

The battery you want is the LiPo4 battery, they don't flame up, they vent a sweet smelling smoke then they die, I know I killed a few of them lol.
I hope that helped...
I’m wondering if the wheel motor would be the way to go on a fat bike. Avoid the chainring problem. Although since my friends is homemade and an early one maybe the parts didn’t fit right on a fat frame? He chews up chainrings. He also uses it in the summer on rough and steep stuff.

Sounds to me that your friend is a pioneer of kewl ideals.
Thank you for the heads up on the chain ring, I'll keep an eye on it for sure.
I'm planning on a military look for mine.

Sounds to me that your friend is a pioneer of kewl ideals.
Thank you for the heads up on the chain ring, I'll keep an eye on it for sure.
I'm planning on a military look for mine.
He has a one by drive with a narrow/wide chainring. I think his problem is how thin the chainring is with the 11 speed cogs and with the chain moving side to side shifting, but that’s a guess. His teeth on the alloy ring wear out so bad that it starts to slip. He may also not be able to get an ideal chain line with his early central drive and the fat frame, but that’s also a guess. He rides it a lot. It’s also very powerful with two big battery packs. He told me the wattage but I don’t remember. It burns rubber when he is off the bike and spins the cranks to get the right mount up pedal position.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back