What do i do when my chain comes off and im hauling ...?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coaster brake, beach cruiser. Ive had like 5 since 2013? All brands , years. One common theme. My chain at some point comes off when im going fast and i guess i hit a bump and then i scream and eat ..... This has happened to me 4 times. Im making a joke, but ive crashed so bad each time.
i guess im asking,
•what am i doing that this happens often?
(I think its because i go up a lot of steep hills, i ride fast and brake hard, also i mostly stand up when i ride, pedals even)
• what is the best way to stop without crashing?
• i notice my brakes engage lower if that makes sense ? Right before it happens

please dont clown me, thanks.

dudes chain didnt fall off launching him… and he is on a flat sidewalk. But alright.
thanks ?

My coaster brake cruiser started throwing the chain on a recent ride. Four or five times in one night. The chain was saggy and a bit loose. Adjusted the tension on the chain by loosening the rear axle bolt and coaster brake arm, and moving it back a bit.

What do you mean when you say your brakes engage lower? Do you mean it seems like you have to back pedal even further than previously to get them to engage?

dudes chain didnt fall off launching him… and he is on a flat sidewalk. But alright.
thanks ?
Unsure of what your exact situation is and my answer is in reference to the question posed in the title of the thread. If you lose a chain on a coaster brake or fixed gear bike and need to stop, place your shoe on the seat stay and use friction from the tire and sole of your shoe to stop...aka Ted Shred. The video was merely a demo, not someone saving their butt in an actual situation. I've used the Ted Shred in emergencies and it works really well when applied properly.

What do you mean when you say your brakes engage lower? Do you mean it seems like you have to back pedal even further than previously to get them to engage?
Yes! Exactly. Like while im standing on the pedals, feet even with each other, i should just have to push back a smidge to engage brakes…when its been all tuned up and stuff.. but when it throws the chain, i can get another half a rotation before engaging..

I don't understand how you get any engagement with a thrown chain. Is it coming off in the back and climbing the sprocket? Anyway, I add a front caliper brake to my coaster bikes in case of chain or hub failure. It also improves braking under normal conditions.

Your chain is too loose...and so is your rear wheel. On most coasters, you need to loosen the wheel and pull it to the rear until all the chain slack is gone. It doesn't have to be super snug, but enough that it's impossible for the chain to skip over the chainring teeth.

Since you're noticing a change in braking response, that suggests to me that the rear wheel is slipping forwards and causing the chain to go slack. All that slack has to be taken up before the brakes begin to apply. Pull that wheel back as far as the chain will allow, then clamp that puppy down TIGHT.

Might want to make sure you have these serrated axle washers in the appropriate size to help the axle stay put.
361-312_MD.gif

https://www.huskybicycles.com/serrated-axle-washer-516-x-18mm-od.html

I have noticed that for my bikes with a coasterbrake + internal gears hub I really have to tighten the rear wheel nuts, while my plain vanilla single-speed Velosteel coaster brakes need no more force than a normally-braked singlespeed.

It’s against the law in England to ride a bicycle without a front brake for good reason. I see motorized bikes without a front brake. What happens if you break a chain on a motorized bike with no front brake? Dah. Coaster brake chains have a tight and loose spot in a 360 degree rotation of the chainring. Could it be too loose at the loose part of the rotation? If the bike doesn’t have chain tugs, I adjust the chain by pounding wood block wedges against the tire sidewalls and chain stays and another set of blocks between the tire running surface and the inside of the fender. When the tire is straight and the chain is tight enough I tighten the axle bolts. Put a finger on the chain when it’s at the tight spot of the rotation and release about a 1/4 inch of play against the block tension and tighten the axle nuts a little at a time changing sides as you tighten them. Get them really tight or the axle will slide forward on one side when you brake and that eventually ruines the drops so you can’t adjust the chain and have the axle stay put. I have broken several chains climbing hills and standing so I use single speed chains for mountain bikes and that stoped the breaking. Perhaps the bikes came with cheap chains? Since this happens on all you bikes I think you have a chain tension issue. If the axle nuts aren’t tight enough and you do your vigorous high speed stops you are probably moving the rear axle which will mess up tension. Once this happens a few times the drops are shot and won’t hold the axle straight for long.

Last edited:
Reads to me like the chain is coming off of the front chain wheel. Try this test and report back. Raise the back wheel so that it will turn freely. Turn the pedals to make the wheel turn in a forward direction. Feel the tightness in the chain . Does it get tight , then slack , then tight again ? That would be a bent 1 piece crank. Does that bigger front gear stay centered in the chain ( all teeth ) ?

Coaster brake, beach cruiser. Ive had like 5 since 2013? All brands , years. One common theme. My chain at some point comes off when im going fast and i guess i hit a bump and then i scream and eat ..... This has happened to me 4 times. Im making a joke, but ive crashed so bad each time.
i guess im asking,
•what am i doing that this happens often?
(I think its because i go up a lot of steep hills, i ride fast and brake hard, also i mostly stand up when i ride, pedals even)
• what is the best way to stop without crashing?
• i notice my brakes engage lower if that makes sense ? Right before it happens

please dont clown me, thanks.
Hello everyone who responded and read etc… im not sure im responding correctly… ? Ill go to each response. Thanks for being patient.

I don't understand how you get any engagement with a thrown chain. Is it coming off in the back and climbing the sprocket? Anyway, I add a front caliper brake to my coaster bikes in case of chain or hub failure. It also improves braking under normal conditions.
I meant right before the chain goes.. sorry.
Like i get some warning signs, i know them now.
I turn my bike upside down,loosen the back tire… and i push my feet against the seat post while pulling the tire back? And then i tighten. But it doesn’t work on this Electra bike i have. I think my legs are too short 🤪

The key is to make sure your chain line is good and to always keep the good tension.
Good chain line means your front and rear sprocket are perfectly in line, on same distance from the central plane of the frame. So the chain goes straight, without bending slightly sideways. If this is not true for your bike - change or flip your sprockets, use washers to achieve a good alignment. There are youtube videos on this topic that can help you.
The tension is easier, but if you find it difficult maybe some chain tensioners can apply? Depending on your bike dropouts shape there are different designs available to purchase.
Hope it helps and you keep enjoying your cycling ;) Have a good day!

Latest posts

Back