What do think this cruiser is worth?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy posted this on offer up for $220. All new parts in the description. I don't know what model Schwinn the frame is. What do you guys think it's worth?
Screenshot_20210708-220302_OfferUp.jpg
Screenshot_20210708-223259_OfferUp.jpg
Screenshot_20210708-223309_OfferUp.jpg

Last edited:
If you are wanting to build a nice BMX cruiser, you can pick up some decent quality sealed bearing wheels (SE bikes, Black Ops, Revenge, Haro, GT, etc), new or take-offs, for ~$150-$250 for the set. Sometimes you can get lucky and snag some take-offs or parted out sets for less. A real nice set...the sky is the limit, but you can get up to $600-1000 real quick.

Look around a bit, you can find some gold at that price if you can afford to be patient. Search daily to get an idea of what people are asking. That bike could be used for trails, but it seems like you want to build it yourself.
Here's a great option for building your own, one of our members has a perfect frame to start with
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/schwinn-heavy-duti-frame-and-fork.114124/unreadThat is an unbeatable deal, if I could, I would in a minute!

Just out of curiosity, what is a good 26" wheelset?
If you are wanting to build a nice BMX cruiser, you can pick up some decent quality sealed bearing wheels (SE bikes, Black Ops, Revenge, Haro, GT, etc), new or take-offs, for ~$150-$250 for the set. Sometimes you can get lucky and snag some take-offs or parted out sets for less. A real nice set...the sky is the limit, but you can get up to $600-1000 real quick.
SE wheels

A guy posted this on offer up for $220. All new parts in the description. I don't know what model Schwinn the frame is.
Did they include make/model of the parts used in the description? Most anything on the up and up will include a parts spec that tells you what you are looking at. In my neighborhood that bike is a Hundy at best, unless they put some quality name brand parts on it.

Did they include make/model of the parts used in the description? Most anything on the up and up will include a parts spec that tells you what you are looking at. In my neighborhood that bike is a Hundy at best, unless they put some quality name brand parts on it.
No, there were no parts descriptions at all. You can tell he spray painted the frame with cheap paint.

How much lighter is an identical aluminum rim to the steel rim? Any durability issues with a steel rim?
That's going to vary from model to model. Double wall, spoke gauge, etc........ All drastically different

Steel wheels have been used and abused forever

Because steel is more malleable than aluminum, I find it more difficult to repair steel rims that have "curb hops" compared to aluminum. Steel gives much more easily, making it easy to overdo things. It also seems to be more difficult (at times) to true than aluminum rims. YMMV

An around town klunker can get by with a coaster brake. A mountain Klunker is going to need a front brake. There is a group of klunker riders in the LA area who race offroad and front brakes are not allowed. Only coaster brakes. I have gone on the race virtually with riders that video the whole thing. They do not do any kind of steep or long downhills because of the stopping issue. All the N. Cal.
Cruiser9.jpg
racing klunkers from back in the day had front brakes. This bike has factory V brakes and a 7 speed rear derailleur setup. The bike is rough but would make a fine klunker for the mountains due to excellent brakes.

Latest posts

Back