What frame is this? Updated info

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I recently acquired this interesting prewar frame, the seller states that head badge said it was a Mead Crusader; still wondering about replacement bottom bracket stuff :
WIN_20211216_11_19_02_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211213_18_03_31_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211213_18_03_51_Pro.jpg

The bottom bracket has threads like a modern three piece crank would have. It's 2 1/2 inches wide and about 1 3/4 in diameter were three piece cranks used way back then? Where might I find one today? ( I know nothing about them. The frame seems lighter than I'd expect and will fit 28 inch wheels. The serial # is 34995 with the # 25 stamped below. The head tube is long: 7 inches. I need to straighten and repair the obvious bend in the down tube, and I could do a complete bottom bracket replacement if I can't find the correct replacement stuff, any thoughts, help or advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Looks like a Great Western Mfg. La Porte, Indiana built bicycle; I believe that GWM did build for Mead Cycles, Chicago, (but not sure when).

The frame fits Fauber 45mm threaded bottom bracket cups, which take reduced size cones, and special Fauber cranks, with special Fauber chain ring sprockets. I believe that the most challenging pieces to acquire are the odd size threaded cones.

Might look for an alphabet letter prefix before the serial numbers?

Modern replacements might be the easiest way to go, if the frame fits, and a taller fork might be found. Perhaps an economy 28” fork?

There is a thread with the link to the only company in Finland (Velobia?) that sells the adapter. It will only adapt to an obsolescent Italian bottom bracket and crank spindle.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back