What have I acquired here?!! (Oversized OPC)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I picked up a Free Agent Chromoly one-piece crank, and this thing is BIG. I mean, it's only 175mm in arm length, but I'm pretty sure it's drilled to accept 9/16 pedals, and no standard front sprocket will even slide down the length of the crankarm without real force being applied, and the threaded area is WAY to big to get it over, even on the non-drive side. If I could find a bottom bracket and a sprocket to make it work, I'd run it on my build-off entry, but for now I'm afraid it's just a squarish-cross-sectioned paperweight.

Anybody know what I should be searching for to make it work, or even better have the parts? Failing that, does anybody need one of these?

Adding a pic.
IMG_20220528_142853.jpg

Is the chainring location by chance 22 or 24mm? I know redline had the monster cranks in 1pc, but free agent is new by me

It's a neat item, but you're clearly facing some fabrication here. A machine shop could likely enlarge the center hole in a chainring, but do you have the matching cones for that crank? It would seem apparent that run-of-the-mill OPC parts won't fit that.

I got the my Redline crank from a scrapped bike, so it came complete with chainring bearings and cups.
The cups are std OPC size outside, but bearings are oversize dia so the bearings are not standard, and ditto for the cups. I gather that you can find the cranks and can bore a std sprocket to fit. You could use loose balls for bearings but the cups are not obtainable.

That's kind of what I was thinking. If I can't find cones and cups, I'm out of luck.

@Captain Awesome , I'll send to you for cost of shipping.

BTW: double-checked, and they use 1/2" pedals, but there's plenty of meat there if somebody wanted to drill/tap for 9/16".

Last edited:
That's kind of what I was thinking. If I can't find cones and cups, I'm out of luck.

@Captain Awesome , I'll send to you for cost of shipping.

BTW: double-checked, and they use 1/2" pedals, but there's plenty of meat there if somebody wanted to drill/tap for 9/16".
If you can't find anything send me a pm and we can discuss

Latest posts

Back