What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been test-riding Bad News around the neighborhood these past few days. I had to practically learn how to ride a bike all over again, but I'm getting the hang of it now.
View attachment 175848View attachment 175849View attachment 175850
That is one low beast. I can only imagine the steering process. Its almost like a hinge in the middle front loader except the hinge has an angle to it. Gnarly. If I saw this bike out riding I would probably think the frame was bending just prior to breaking. This is a head turning bicycle.

Went out early in the ‘57, then took the kiddies out on a trailer ride with the Monocog. Both kids took a nap during the ride, now dad needs a nap. Good times.
21519574-03B4-4D0C-A3C4-FC90C889A4A5.jpeg
967720E6-92A4-4CC1-BE0A-FDDED4164F86.jpeg

That is one low beast. I can only imagine the steering process. Its almost like a hinge in the middle front loader except the hinge has an angle to it. Gnarly. If I saw this bike out riding I would probably think the frame was bending just prior to breaking. This is a head turning bicycle.
It's the lowest-riding bike in my stable at the moment. It's quite a challenge to ride, that's for sure! Hahaha! Thanks dude!

Went out early in the ‘57, then took the kiddies out on a trailer ride with the Monocog. Both kids took a nap during the ride, now dad needs a nap. Good times.
View attachment 176020View attachment 176021
It always amazes me just how modern those old Schwinns can look when built up that way. I know the frame is vintage, but with those forks, handlebars chainring and no fenders or tank, it just looks like something that could have been released yesterday. I need to built one up that way at some point. Sounds like you had a lot of fun riding your bikes and bringing the kids along with you!

It always amazes me just how modern those old Schwinns can look when built up that way. I know the frame is vintage, but with those forks, handlebars chainring and no fenders or tank, it just looks like something that could have been released yesterday. I need to built one up that way at some point. Sounds like you had a lot of fun riding your bikes and bringing the kids along with you!
The ‘57 was an easy build, I knew the bike was a keeper and I took parts off of other bikes I had built up. Crankset, forks, stem, and seat post were all from 1 bike. The other stuff I had laying around. The wheels on that bike have their own thread!

Man my kids have everything I never had, and that starts with a dad being present and available to them. Bikes are my thing and I tag them in to join me on rides, not sure if they like it, but they sure don’t hate it.
“If you build it, they will come!”

Man my kids have everything I never had, and that starts with a dad being present and available to them.
That's good stuff right there, man. Didn't get to ride yesterday, but I did get to chuck around a frisbee with the littleun for a while. Great day

I put a new rack and stylin' Head badge on the Kona.
Recently upgraded the shifters with new Shimano Deores, Tektro levers and braided cables with Teflon coated inners.
For a near-20 year old bike it's riding like new. But then just about everything has been upgraded or replaced.
Rolls really nicely on the Halo Combat wheel set and Hookworms too.

kona213.jpg

kona212.jpg

1953 Monark Super Deluxe I bought this past summer. Its a great riding bike once it was tuned properly. Took it on the 15 mile course through my town. 🇺🇸

Attachments

• C3B5E097-A628-43EC-9FC5-8002EFC957E4.jpeg
    C3B5E097-A628-43EC-9FC5-8002EFC957E4.jpeg
    676.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 29E76D02-2C88-47CB-A62B-70B6DD8E853F.jpeg
    29E76D02-2C88-47CB-A62B-70B6DD8E853F.jpeg
    530.9 KB · Views: 33
  • CC43603B-DD2D-4202-8456-2727FBF8E773.jpeg
    CC43603B-DD2D-4202-8456-2727FBF8E773.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 37
I am in the city most of this week as wifie has to do actual in-class teaching rather than online, so I was able to spend some time working on my city Romets. Of course, three days in and one student has coronavirus and wifie is back to online teaching...

Although it still needs some work, including replacing the missing spoke, wifie is really pleased with the look of my Turing with its baskets fitted - and she grew up with them everywhere. I love just pootling around on it.

AM-JKLV9W0_kJK1pHJT4CMHRflrk9kBN5mnsaPgUJDN7guzZziU_zMqR54BcQNsaD68F89t5S7Q2XkhNbBn4NBbJLy2Ctyy58IxTRimP-I9WtA4q6JvfilwjdjLKqKdazHkTXiIWBkgz4qGHpvOE28hS9Wfm-A=w948-h955-no

I finally got round to fitting the rear rack on Big R, one of my four Romet Jubilats.

AM-JKLUY0m0_nkat9WeJVknpbeyU0eJkwr08CjSyb3BtnHSWMbQYdi62Cpzuk9vh93gQf1WDqgNtTcSF7mxHwI6KgWfwor_Zs6cekXl3YtKWagQf_A_Q4RzwOG8JVLEmzTq962mSgzDbyIPqiHuuH2bWOVj0og=w1083-h955-no

Both bike designs date from the late 60s / early 70s and both of these came off the production lines in the 90s. The handlebars will be changed on the Jubilat and maybe the steering stem - they came off two of my other Jubilats. And the bell, which is original but tends to go 'ting' over every little bump.

This Jubilat is my most original and also my least favourite - it rides well enough, and the handlebars are fun, but I will be happy to see it go to a new home.

The season is almost over. I like to give everyone a little bit of exercise before I put them away, so I took Snakebite for a rip around the hood.
IMG_20211029_133951059~2.jpg

Started having fun once I warmed up, went a little further than I had planned. This one is not meant for cruising

Sunday! Sunday! ... I'll be racing this Sunday (Masters 50+ Cat 1-4). My first cross race since 2019. I opted out of the limited races held in 2020 for Covid reasons, and despite not being in race fitness, I am stoked to give it a go. It's going to be a mud fest. It's been raining a lot lately.

Ridley.jpg

2017 Ridley XKnight. Carbon frame and fork.

Latest posts

Back