What headset do i need?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken off my (don't know technical names) headset and the inner diameter of the headset bare tube is 1 - 1/8" (i think this is a threadless headset)

I just don't know what exactly i'm looking for. I ordered a 1" beartrap and it's 1-1/4" and slightly to big for my frame. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Question number 2: I have a black ops 21.1 quill stem that doesn't seem to get super tight in the monark springer fork.

Is there a better way to do all of this?

thanks for taking the time for a newbie bike guy

Attachments

• IMG_7208.jpg
    IMG_7208.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_7252.jpg
    IMG_7252.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_7250.jpg
    IMG_7250.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
This table of headset standards would help you.
What you got there is probably EC29 or EC30.
The official website of your frame producer does not have this information (what would i expect from micargi), and all the web-shops just copy their description. So to know this for sure you'd have to measure your frame very precisely with a mm caliper. Otherwise buy one 1' headset that is easier to find in your area and hope it would fit ;)

A lot of bike stuff uses the metrix system, and has for quite a while, (so there is no living anti-American politician to blame at the ballot box).
1-1/8" forks are frequently used with 34mm headsets (cups).
1" forks are frequently used with 30mm headsets, on road-racing & other bikes; (looks like yours). A threaded headset will also have a threaded top cone (or top race), and threaded top nut; those go on the threaded fork.
1" forks are frequently used with ~32.5mm headsets, on BXM and vintage American bikes.
1" forks are in-frequently used with proprietary 33mm headsets, on industrial bikes; we know who those guys are (from NY).

#2: Wald 905 shim for stems.

Last edited:
I have taken off my (don't know technical names) headset and the inner diameter of the headset bare tube is 1 - 1/8" (i think this is a threadless headset)

I just don't know what exactly i'm looking for. I ordered a 1" beartrap and it's 1-1/4" and slightly to big for my frame. Can someone point me in the right direction?

The diagrams at wikipedia will help everybody with the technical terms! :) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headset_(bicycle_part)

If @Starnger is correct, and that IS a Micargi frame, it's probably NOT a threadless headset -- most cruiser frames still use older technology like threaded headsets and one-piece cranks. The headtube races in your pictures aren't threaded for either type of headset, they just press fit into the headset tube.

Question number 2: I have a black ops 21.1 quill stem that doesn't seem to get super tight in the monark springer fork.

If it's a 1" threaded fork, and a 21.1 stem doesn't fit right or get super tight, it probably needs a 22.2 mm quill stem OR a shim. Some people cut them out of cans; another thread just mentioned that Wald makes a shim to use a 21.1 stem in a 22.2 fork -- look for "stem shim quill" on amazon, or local bike shops might carry them. Edit: @Phil Fink beat me to it! :bigsmile:

ok guys thanks for the education.. these are def pressed onto the frame, this is a craigslist micargi royal (kind of a bassman clone). And i just measured it with a digital caliper and i got 29.76mm for the inner diameter of the head tube and 30mm outer diameter for the lower headtube race, that makes sense since it's pressed on.

And for my springer fork i just measured it with the caliper and got 22.28mm inner tube diameter.

FYI just picked up a digital caliper this morning lol.

ok guys thanks for the education.. these are def pressed onto the frame, this is a craigslist micargi royal (kind of a bassman clone). And i just measured it with a digital caliper and i got 29.76mm for the inner diameter of the head tube and 30mm outer diameter for the lower headtube race, that makes sense since it's pressed on.

And for my springer fork i just measured it with the caliper and got 22.28mm inner tube diameter.

FYI just picked up a digital caliper this morning lol.
Good! That means you got EC30, a normal 1' headset. This is the one you need to buy, they are quite cheap, unless you go for hi-end sport bike stuff.

I bought a tioga 2 beartrap 1" headset but it ended up having 1-1/4" outer dimension headtube race.. I'm worried the next set will also have different diameter. it seems no 2 are the same in any way.

Last edited:
Like Jason said, there is a system, and it involves two sizes for one assembly.
The headset is an interface piece between two other parts. Like your Wald #905 shim, that has an inside dimension (13/16") and an outside dimension (7/8"), and both have to fit. A headset also has two basic dimensions. Your fork is threaded (probably 24-tpi) x 1" so you need headset cones that fit a 1" fork. Your frame head tube is 30mm so you need headset cups that fit 30mm. So, you may need a 1"/30mm headset.
This year, I purchased a 1"-26tpi English headset, 1"-24tpi/33mm, and a 1"-24tpi/35mm headset for some odd bikes. Consider yourself lucky to be learning about parts, that are more standard sizes.

Latest posts

Back