What is this little muscley bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thing is for sale locally for $60. What is it?
54efea62ee1345c8a50f4d0c10f24494.jpg

I can't figure out what it is...but I'd snag it in a heartbeat. Is it on 16" wheels?

Chainring is Wald. I know I've seen that chainguard graphic before...I thought it was Wildcat...but the bike doesn't look like any Wildcat I can find. The frame has a definite Murray look, but I think it may be Snyder/Rollfast.

Stumped.

Dropouts look like Evans. My first bike was a 24" Evans and had the same chainwheel. Evans was only in business until 62, maybe the bike was converted to a banana seat bike after that.

After a whole lot of image surfing that took me to Wikipedia, then Reddit, then RRB (in 2010) I learned that the little bike is an MTD Duke. They made a 3-speed version - the King, and a step-thru - the Duchess.

MTD - Modern Tool & Die is an American company that has made lots of cool stuff over the year including Columbia Bikes, Cub Cadet mowers, and some really sweet MTD minibikes.

mtd composite.png

I am going over to look at the MTD bike and to buy a 24" Hawthorne middleweight tomorrow. I'm not really interested in the MTD. If you are, please let me know and I will snag it.

Here is another pic of the bike.
mtd 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back