What is your definition of a Rat Rod Bicycle/Tricycle?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Rat Rod Bicycle is a bicycle that functions as a bicycle, looks like a bicycle and Rides like a bicycle. These bike are not parked for show. They are used and ridden.
Rat Rod bikes come in a variety of ways:

Stock-->Original parts, never changed

Bitser-->Bits from here, bits from there

Custom--> fabricated parts, hacked frames, etc.

They can be painted in primer, suede, satin, and patina colors for originality. They are found, built, and painted on a budget. Most people use what they have to make a rider.

They are typically have the same characteristics such as red wheels, flat black primer frames and are stripped down to bare essential; i.e. No fenders, chainguard or fancy accessories. THey are plain and simple!

Now that is my definition. What is yours?

Rat Rods (automotive) are a phemomenon in themselves. Based on an idea, often imaginary of how cars used to be rodded in the old days. A growing movement which has become so mainstream that many of the trendy 1990s built 'billet' cars are being dismantled and Ratted. Hot Rods have a visual language all of their own based on a rich heritage of 60 years of car modding.

Rat bikes (motorcycles) likewise, are unique. They have a different style (if 'style' is the appropriate word!) inspired by a Mad Max/ survivalist/ apocaliptic vision.

Im a fan of both because I love diversity and individualism but Rat bikes are not beautiful. Rat Rods are.

I think that organisations like Chunk666 are closer to the Rat bikes ethos than they are to Rat Rods. I love their humour and commitment to an apocaliptic vision but they dont produce beautiful bikes.

A Rat Rod bicycle, although very well defined by the intro page of this forum is, in my opinion, an old bike brought back to life, a bicycle which people look at and smile. Its closer to the Rat Rod vision than the Rat Bike vision. Its a bike which functions as a daily rider, is assembled right so that it wont break down, ever, is the first bike that you choose to ride to the store on and most importantly its a work of art. Only an expert would understand just how rare those sparkly grips are. How many hours it took to get the lines just so.

Its an old bike brought back to life, with a respect for its heritage.

You guys are so lucky living in the land of Schwinn. I get my Triumph Palm Beach tomorrow. Im going to fly the flag for British Rat Rod Bikers. Im going to show you how to do it!!!!!!

What is a Rat rod? Hmmmmmm – that question is a bit tricky. While many of us embrace the term (quite possibly as a reaction to the super high dollar elitist attitude that is all too common), the term Rat rod is not universally welcomed in the hot rod community, some people are quite opposed to it actually. Rat rod and Old School are often used interchangeably even though there are philosophical differences.

But all that is a topic for another day, for now, I shall leap into the breach with my own interpretation as follows:

*no billet
*no high tech materials (ie: carbon fiber, kevlar etc)
*visible signs of age and wear are accepted and encouraged
*home built, often with whatever parts are lying around, make or modify the parts yourself rather than buying from a catalogue,
*aesthetics are usually based on 1950’s hot rod styling, colours and materials.
*attitude – a bit rebellious of course
*built to be ridden - if it breaks re-build and repeat as needed.

All put together with an artistic flair that creates something greater than the sum of the parts.

Things are only new once, but obsolete is forever – embrace the rust!

MadMick – You could say our rat bicycles are more “rocker” than “mod” eh? Good point about the billet cars being ratted, now that's irony!

-Mp

Yeah mate. Much much more rocker than mod. I find it hard to imagine a 'mod' bicycle actually, maybe a Raleigh RSW with 50 mirrors. Hmmmmm theres a project...........

If you can park your bike next to this and it doesn't look out of place....you've got yourself a Rat Rod Bike. 8)

rat1.jpg

rat2.jpg

Raleigh RSW - Oh Yeah! I can see it now!

Don’t forget the antennas and a continental kit, maybe some extra lights too. We can leave out the rioting though, that’s just nasty.

-Mp

I love a coupe w a terraplane grill!!!! If I get the chance I am going to buy up a '34 international pickup for my bike hauling!

when I build a bike, I take in consideration of what year it was manufactured. then I try to use parts from that same era. like a traditional rod or kustom. as if it could've been somethin' built back in the day. and I try to stick to the guidelines, if its from the late 50's, early '60's, its in satin with wide whitewalls. late '60's early '70's, its kandy & slim whites. I totally agree with "RatRod", if you can park your bike next to a laid-out "A" body,& it doesn't look outta place, you're on the right track. hells yeah

Some ARE RAT BIKES [RUST BUCKETS] put together from parts thrown away, barely useable. Others are Hot rod style.either way we build outlaw bikes ...outside the law of the PURIST [10 POINT RESTORER] and the Full blown, hand fabricated, show room chopper. quote, "Hey thats incorrect, that part does not go with that bike"------to------"I create my bikes from scratch with perfect bead welds, powder coat and triple chrome plate or billet alloy". We are the ones between those two...so the term, RATROD BIKE [which @ 1ST I didn't quite agree with makes perfect sense now] covers ALL the degrees of "outlaw" or RAT and hot ROD BIKE building. ....O.K. now I'm out of breathe.. hey RATROD I appreciate this site for the under funded builders of outlaw [bike building laws] RAT...and hot ROD BIKES... 8)

a hot rod is what they built in the 50's.

a rat rod is a very poor example of a bike/car that is supposed to look like it was built in the 50's. most people have this big misconception that everything in the 50's was a p.o.s. rust bucket, WHICH IS NOT AT ALL TRUE. if you actually look at photos from the 50's you'll see that 80-90% of the cars were painted. back then they didnt purposlely make there car all crappy and paint it flat black. theres ALOT more use of the color flat black nowadays then there ever was in the 50's.

i wish people would get over the whole "rat rodder" thing and move on.

another thing, if you look at the 2 pictures posted below, NOTHING looked like that in the 50's. those are all just bandwagoner making an attempt to build a hot rod. period.

Spiral_Out said:
a hot rod is what they built in the 50's.

a rat rod is a very poor example of a bike/car that is supposed to look like it was built in the 50's. most people have this big misconception that everything in the 50's was a p.o.s. rust bucket, WHICH IS NOT AT ALL TRUE. if you actually look at photos from the 50's you'll see that 80-90% of the cars were painted. back then they didnt purposlely make there car all crappy and paint it flat black. theres ALOT more use of the color flat black nowadays then there ever was in the 50's.

i wish people would get over the whole "rat rodder" thing and move on.

another thing, if you look at the 2 pictures posted below, NOTHING looked like that in the 50's. those are all just bandwagoner making an attempt to build a hot rod. period.

I agree. You can be a"HOT RODDER'' or a ''RAT RODDER''. That is your choice. So dont hate if you do or dont prefer certain terms. I dont call my POS a hot rod or my HOT ROD bike a Rat Rod!
Let see your HOT ROD CAR, if you know how it is done. I know how it is done and I know which term are appropriate!!
***This thread is what is your definition of a RAT ROD!!!

my bad? here's my defintion of a rat rod...

purposely crappy looking car which probably has man made rust spots, or the whole car is cover in rusted (salt water and vinegar are usually poured on the car to give it that effect) wrenches used as door handles, a shifter that is sticking 7 feet above the roof line with some kind of skull or shrunken head for a knob. alot of times flat black is used too, often with a red and white MURAL of striping on it (cars back in the 50's only had a tad bit of striping not covered in it) the owner slicks there hair back with whatever they can find and probably will have some of that rockabilly crap going. the car will have welds on it that look like they have been done by an 8 year old and won't be sanded down. alot of times there will be some kind of shop name on the side that dosn't exist.

once the whole "rat rod" thing dies down, all the bandwagoners will unslick there hair, stop listening to rockabilly music, and move on to the next big thing.

imo, this is what a hot rod looks like....

01152jc0.jpg

3420coupe20on20trailerye8.jpg

10512281sd1.jpg

this is a car built in present time by a guy who knows what he's doing

billetproof06001ru5.jpg

I here ya!
I am a hot rodder at heart! Now the bad welds, and wrench handles do look like shyt. The logo on the door looks awesome when it really is your rolling business card!
I rodded out a 77 ford pickup w/ flames, scallops, and finally just good ol' primer! Right now it has a nice patina w/ scallops peeking through the gray primer. It has rust holes in the floor board and sports peep mirrors. I dont slik my hair back but I like the holes in the floor board and the patina!!
What hot rod forum are you associated w/?
JalopyJournal?
Ol'SkoolRodz?
I am assoc. w/ those!

dumpster_diver said:
I here ya!
I am a hot rodder at heart! Now the bad welds, and wrench handles do look like shyt. The logo on the door looks awesome when it really is your rolling business card!
I rodded out a 77 ford pickup w/ flames, scallops, and finally just good ol' primer! Right now it has a nice patina w/ scallops peeking through the gray primer. It has rust holes in the floor board and sports peep mirrors. I dont slik my hair back but I like the holes in the floor board and the patina!!
What hot rod forum are you associated w/?
JalopyJournal?
Ol'SkoolRodz?
I am assoc. w/ those!

I have no associations really :)

another thing i've always thought of is that hot rodders from the 50's were real innovaters...always trying new things. they were a pretty progressive group of guys. so does that mean that people like chip foose and troy trepanier are the true hot rodders of today?? i mean they are deff. innovaters (troys 4 wheel drive '32 coupe is insane) they are the ones always trying new things and pushing the envelope one stop further. so then what is a street rod?? i dunno either. it all depends on how you look at it i guess.

I noticed you said "move on the next new thing"

What is it? LeadSleds, Customs,<---these are nothing new and neither is Hot Rodding

dumpster_diver said:
I noticed you said "move on the next new thing"

What is it? LeadSleds, Customs,<---these are nothing new and neither is Hot Rodding

i was talking about the "rat rodder" thing. notice not until 4-5 years ago you NEVER saw a car that looked like these new age rat rod things. it's almost like they are the hot rod version of ricers in a way. people have been spoonfed whats 'cool' and whats 'not cool' by the media. people can't think for themselves anymore. who's knows what will catch on next? will the vans from the 70's come back? will prostreet come back? (hopefully not) theres always gonna be a big fad thats going on in the world of cars. ricers caught on pretty big after fast and furious came out. its died down some, bit its still around and probably will always be around a little bit. same with rat rods or whatever, 5 years from now it will die down and you wont see them near as much as you do now. its happens every decade. vans, pro street, boyd cottington street rod look-a-likes, riced out civics, drifting, the mainstream is always changing.

of course, the mainstream is referred to as a stream because of it's shallowness. :wink:

Well I think Chip Foose does the Street Rod seen. I love his work! like his latest Autorama Show winner "The ----" I cant remember but it was an art deco 2 seater. That thing was Gorgeous!!!
Street Rods are the customized trailer queens or those that have to be waxed before a show!!

there was no bigger fad then mini trucks lol wheels sticking out 8 inches on each side, lowered suspensions, roofs cut off and neon wiper blades!
but I dont thing rat rod bikes will die... they are bikes we can ride or just look at with minimal investment..... if ya think about it stingrays were just a fad in the 60s which changed to cheap 70s 10 speeds and BMX bikes in the 80s . I look at mine as ongoing projects. I dont have the patience to restore one and then would be afraid to ride it. I think alot of were doing this sort of thing to bikes long before it had a name. I think we will be tinkering long after the arthritus limits our old bones

Hooch said:
there was no bigger fad then mini trucks lol wheels sticking out 8 inches on each side, lowered suspensions, roofs cut off and neon wiper blades!
but I dont thing rat rod bikes will die... they are bikes we can ride or just look at with minimal investment..... if ya think about it stingrays were just a fad in the 60s which changed to cheap 70s 10 speeds and BMX bikes in the 80s . I look at mine as ongoing projects. I dont have the patience to restore one and then would be afraid to ride it. I think alot of were doing this sort of thing to bikes long before it had a name. I think we will be tinkering long after the arthritus limits our old bones

when I was was talking about rat rods and whatnot, I wasn't talking about bicycles....mainly the cars.

and +1 on the restoring bikes thing. restoring is pretty dumb imo.

Restoration is the last refuge for those who cannot create. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back