What terrain ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJV

Reaction score
Beings this is : an off road B O..
Was wondering, :39: the type terrain;
Everyone, plan to ride; their entry.?

For me: cleared:gravel ,dirt trail,
grassy medow, creek bed,anywhere

with my,, peeper prob.:whistle:
Don't need to drop off top, the
Appalachian Mountains...:21:

Anyway: where you going to ride ?:D

I will admit there will not be much up and down hill work with my entries, there just isn't any hills here, but gravel roads and tearing through parks and down to the river is my aim...

Luke.

I'm going to try it all, hitting some single trac for sure, it'll get ridden to work from time to time, some long bike path rides, pulling the boys in the trailer, and of course at least one run through the small line at the dirt jumps and a few runs down the local BMX track

@KJV as you know, most of Ohio is flat. So I'll be riding mostly on city streets, and the local bike path. Both of which in my town have plenty of bumps and potholes.:21::thumbsup:

There's a couple city parks that would be awesome for riding, one of which has a 200' tall chunk of sandstone they call a mountain.:rofl: Unfortunately the city won't allow it, so maybe I'll take it to a Columbus metro park that does allow it.

Within riding distance from my home. There are paved dual use. Plus, the BLM land north of town, for off road Wash Runs. A little further north are the sheep mountains. The wash turns into a bunch of natural Bowls a little further up. I'll commonly ride these areas. My specialized has helped me explore a lot. That's how I found the location of my MBBO pics, was by breaking trail down the wash and found the levee...

Further out, within 30min driving distance. I have Mount Charleston, over a mile elevation rise over 10-20 miles. Trails from easy to difficult to ultra advanced. Red Rock Canyon, same, more desert than mountain terrain. Washes, hills, small mountains, etc. All ranges of difficulty. The other corner of the valley, sunrise mountain, and tons of trails from there south, even overland trails south to the river.

Within 2-3 hours driving distance, I can almost be I Moab...

My Orbo builds will be used in various stunts in a lot of these areas. The ones within biking range will see them regularly

Building... riding...

Last edited:
@KJV as you know, most of Ohio is flat. So I'll be riding mostly on city streets, and the local bike path. Both of which in my town have plenty of bumps and potholes.:21::thumbsup:

The northern half of Oho is flat, since the glaciers shaved off all the hills and dumped them in southern Ohio.

A friend from northwest Pennsylvania used to come to Columbus often and couldn't believe how flat and featureless the drive along I-80, I-76 and I-71 were, and she thought that the rest of the state was like that -- or more specifically, like Kansas -- so we had to drive down to the Hocking Hills to prove her wrong. :21:

On the other hand, every time I ride to one of my local bike shops, I get to bomb down a seldom-used four lane road with a 1/3 mile long, 5% grade, which is a blast! Then I get to CLIMB that hill on the way home, which is why I'm a big believer in multi-speed bikes. (I often see teenagers PUSHING their mountain bikes up that hill, which is probably a statement about kids' not being in shape these days AND their lack of "out of the saddle" climbing skills.)

The northern half of Oho is flat, since the glaciers shaved off all the hills and dumped them in southern Ohio.

A friend from northwest Pennsylvania used to come to Columbus often and couldn't believe how flat and featureless the drive along I-80, I-76 and I-71 were, and she thought that the rest of the state was like that -- or more specifically, like Kansas -- so we had to drive down to the Hocking Hills to prove her wrong. :21:

On the other hand, every time I ride to one of my local bike shops, I get to bomb down a seldom-used four lane road with a 1/3 mile long, 5% grade, which is a blast! Then I get to CLIMB that hill on the way home, which is why I'm a big believer in multi-speed bikes. (I often see teenagers PUSHING their mountain bikes up that hill, which is probably a statement about kids' not being in shape these days AND their lack of "out of the saddle" climbing skills.)

Where I live in Lancaster is right on the edge of flat. The glaciers stopped just south of town, so a short drive down old 33 and I'm in the Appalachian foothills.

We have a city park (Alley park) right at the south end of town that would be perfect for off road riding, but you take a chance of someone with a badge ruining your fun.

It's flat here in Illinoiz too. I'm by the Kankakee river and there are some paved park district bike trails, with probably less than 100' of drop in elevation. There is also a few places where you can get into some dirt trails and flagstone ledges, creek beds and rolling streets...
All fun on a mtb or a cruiser, bmx or a muscle bike.

Carl.

There's a couple city parks that would be awesome for riding, one of which has a 200' tall chunk of sandstone they call a mountain.:rofl: Unfortunately the city won't allow it, so maybe I'll take it to a Columbus metro park that does allow it.

And apparently snow and ice.

My build off bike will be ridden all over! We have the beach here, plus snow in the local mountains, plus tons great mountain biking! And almost all of it has lots of hills!

I'm planning to build for typical South Jersey singletrack; we have enough nice trails, but very few hills, and no actual mountains. Lots of roots, and a whole lot of sugar sand (although, TBH, the Nevegals i intend to run aren't the best for sugar sand. I'm considering different rubber, but....) The singlespeed gearing will be low; too low for regular cruising, but just right for the local trails (and maybe an inch or too higher than i'd like if we had real hills here....)

Just saw this thread....ol' Slow Draw strikes again. The Mesa Büggie will be ridden in itś namesake, Mesa, AZ. Everything from the compact sand of the Western Canal bike path, to the many desert mtb trails within riding / driving distance from our abode. It will be kept down here and will remain my go to bike for grocery / beer runs, casual cruising, and bumping along the trails. Single speed will keep me off the steep stuff, but plenty of low grade trails to enjoy! Can't wait!

Terrain, there is a single track that goes up to the top of this. Maybe this saturday I will be on top.

48ab08973373b70ba098aa2a5e2a23c1.jpg

Building... riding...

My build is intended for just about everywhere and after some testing I'm pretty happy with it.
mb3.JPG

8 speeds gives me the following:
gear inches using Felt 38 t front sprocket and existing OPC.
1st gear 32 t = 31 gear inches
2nd gear 26 t = 38 gear inches
3rd gear 23 t = 43 gear inches
4th gear 20 t = 49 gear inches
5th gear 17 t = 58 gear inches
6th gear 15 t = 66 gear inches
7th gear 13 t = 76 gear inches
8th gear 11 t = 90 gear inches
mb11.JPG

As a ref, my coaster brake Klunker from last winter runs 42 gear inches. OK for me on paved road but to tall for soft terrain. I'm not a spinner tho so best for short jaunts only.

My 1955 Schwinn canti running a "wide-range" Sturmey 3 speed hub does the following:
L gear = 52 gear inches
N gear = 70 gear inches
H gear = 93 gear inches
For me the Schwinn is perfect on the road, well maybe just a little tall in high gear.

So I appreciate the flexibility of 8 speeds - 2 lower than my CB klunker and 5 speeds higher to almost as high gear as my "wide-range" Sturmey.

Latest posts

Back