What value? '50 Schwinn Spitfire

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am considering taking in this bike as a partial trade but want to get an idea of a value on it first.
The guy said it is a 1950 Schwinn Spitfire with skip-tooth drive line. Looks to be in decent condition but the item I'm trading is in the $500-$600 range so I want to know how much cash to get with the bike. He also said he has other bikes so I am waiting for pictures.

image-159_zpsfedaced5.jpg

I'd say the value would be the sum of it's parts. It's nothing spectacular, as it is a plain jane postwar DX. It really depends entirely what you could part it out at in your area or on this forum. In my neck of the woods, it might be $150-$200 tops. Back when I was aquiring bikes, you would be nuts if you paid over $80 for it.

RatSphinx said:
I'd say the value would be the sum of it's parts. It's nothing spectacular, as it is a plain jane postwar DX. It really depends entirely what you could part it out at in your area or on this forum. In my neck of the woods, it might be $150-$200 tops. Back when I was aquiring bikes, you would be nuts if you paid over $80 for it.
That's about what I was thinking I did notice it is missing the chain guard, non-original seat, I don't think the stem is original, and who knows what else. If I do get it I'd probably keep it or sell it whole. I just don't have the heart to kill a survivor like this.

It's 26", I asked the same thing. He also said he's got a ladies 1950 Schwinn with Cadillac badge and skiptooth driveline. I'm thinking of getting both (same year his and hers) and some cash and call it a good day.

cman said:
I don't think it is a 1950. Only the top models had names. Possibly a 1953 based off the paint scheme. Most Spitfire's had the main color with the white front accent with the scallops. http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/195 ... re-boys-26

Hmmmm, I know he said the boys was a spitfire and the ladies bike has a Cadillac head badge. They are both skip tooth and he said they were both 1950. I guess I'll see when I get them.

Latest posts

Back