What's a "strandie?"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning lots of new stuff since I got back into bicycles, but one term I have yet to figure out is "strandie." Can someone edjumakate me please? :confused:

Thanks,
Andy

Basically they are beach cruisers from the late 70's & 80's that were usually loaded up with BMX components and ridden on the strand or boardwalk areas near the beach. Many of the BMX manufacturers during that time frame made a 26" beach cruiser and some referred to them as Strandies, Strand Bikes or Strand Cruisers

Here's a visual...

examplesofstrands.jpg

Strandie- Hmmm....Pecan Strandie? Maybe any bike that's easy to pedal on pavement in the flats?)strand( Klunker maybe? Bmx parts hung on a ballooner frame? Single speed road-bike conversion? Fixie? RAT? Who knows, good question. I think its generally a slow moving beach bike. (edit- any way you like em!). skpc

I ride this bike on the strand/beach. Rat strandie.
4dr (1).jpg

Last edited:
Strandie = Cruiser with different parts
Klunker = Cruiser with different parts
Rat rod = Cruiser with different parts
Mountain bike =Cruiser with different parts
Motorized bike =Cruiser with different parts
Bmx....Cruiser =Cruiser with different parts
And so on and so fith.

Strandie = Cruiser with different parts
Klunker = Cruiser with different parts
Rat rod = Cruiser with different parts
Mountain bike =Cruiser with different parts
Motorized bike =Cruiser with different parts
Bmx....Cruiser =Cruiser with different parts
And so on and so fith.

I’m sensing a pattern here......[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And a klunker is a cruiser with gears for all terrain racing, a bomber is similar, but without gears, for hill bombing. A mountain bike is a bike (originally based on cruiser geometry) made specifically for the purpose of trail riding. The name came from Gary Fisher and Charlie Kelly's Mountain Bike Company, the first to make them. BMX was definitely not for cruising, they are uncomfortable race machines.

Latest posts

Back