What's cooking?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vegetarian Bean Burritos with whole wheat tortillas and salsa, all homemade. Where I live we have great fresh food and way overpriced imported goods, so it is cheaper and healthier to make it yourself. By necessity I can do just about anything but make cheese by now!

I make my own refried beans, but they are far from vegetarian. Instead of lard, I use bacon grease because bacon makes everything better.

Chorizo and eggs for breakfast today. Corn tortillas and a side of sliced avocado. Fueled to ride.

We've got a local pizza place that sells their raw dough by the pound so I grabbed some and we made homemade pizza

Thinly rolled dough
Butter wash
Garlic olive oil wash
Sauteed spinach
Sauteed mushrooms
Sauteed sweet onions
Three cheese blend
Fresh grated parmesan
Siracha aoli drizzle

Cooking vegan chili: kidney beans, water, thai chilis, sheephead chilis (devil chilis), sweet Italian chilis, cayenne chilis, garlic, onions, cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, olive oil, oregano, black pepper, kosher salt.
This is because of economics only!
Ground beef is the most welcome addition to this recipe that I can imagine!
In any case, this works great with whole wheat (50%) tortillas and homemade salsa.
Washed down today with fresh watermelon wine (tuak)!

Last night was a burrito bar

We had all sorts of build your own goodness

Fresh pico
Spanish rice
Lime rice
Corn salsa
Black beans
Refried beans
Chorizo
Roasted tofu
Ground turkey
Grilled onions
Queso
Diced polenta
Guacamole

I've got 2 spinach and mushroom quiche in the oven so the girls can meal prep for the week. Also have slow cooker chicken and dumplings for the first short day of the winter season

I have a dirty kitchen out back that gets a lot of use. I'm always trying to make some of the local favorites. Today it's Afritada, one of the more common dishes here. It's like chicken stew in tomato sauce served with rice.

07 Nov 22 afritada.jpg

My wife's request. She just calls it veggie chili but it's more like some sort of pepperonata soup

IMG_20221114_192053490~2.jpg

2 yellow onions - diced and sauteed in oil
1 green pepper *
1 orange pepper *
1 yellow pepper *
1 red pepper *
1 poblano pepper - *all diced and sweated
3 ears of corn from freezer off the cob and roasted in cast iron
2 cans of diced tomatoes (or canned jars if available)
16 oz of tomato sauce
4 tablespoons lime juice
2-4 cups veggie broth to desired consistency
12 oz can of root beer (sugar free for us) - yes I am serious

Boil and then reduce and summer 30 minutes

Boom

Leftovers from my yearly volunteer gig where we cook 1100+ traditional Christmas dinners, and deliver them to homeless shelters, addiction centres and the like.
A duck leg, two slices of pork roast, extra crackling, potatoes, sauce and braised red cabbage:

We were lucky to borrow an almost brand new kitchen at a convention centre, which was great to work in - lots of space, two walk-ins, blast chiller, more gastro trays than I've ever seen in one place, tables on wheels so we could set up stations however we needed. And we could drive the cars inside to load up :cool:

There was none of the usual fighting for oven space this year :D

Leftovers from my yearly volunteer gig where we cook 1100+ traditional Christmas dinners, and deliver them . . . And we could drive the cars inside to load up :cool: . . .
Be careful if you really start to drive vehicles into buildings. The property manager from the local baseball stadium called up our engineering office to tell us that the floors were cracking. When we went down there we found out they were driving beer trucks inside the building. To service the concessions underneath all the stadium.

Loaded beer trucks are like freaking battleships. They almost destroyed the building at Chukchansi park.

OTHERWISE,

KUDOS, to you and the whole crew for all of the humanitarian effort! I’m so glad that there are people who can get out and do that kind of work when it’s necessary, as I am getting too old.

My sister still does & every year she does the benefit spaghetti dinner at the legion hall.

It’s about all I can do to cook for the families when they come over. We have Christmas twice, and a total of 36 people showed up on 2 days.

This only represents my two daughters and seven natural granddaughters. They take the same picture on my couch every year since they were little girls. Now they are all working adults.
6DCFDE78-F552-4681-8AAE-7E0A972E3CDD.jpeg

A lot of my wife’s family has passed on. These are some of her cousins and their children.
5B2175C8-0352-4946-9D43-D5C57C8264A7.jpeg

Everybody had a terrific Christmas here even though we did not get to go out and ride bicycles. It was rather cold and & there was just so much to do.

We were very lucky to be able to give out presents and money to all of these guys and girls.

Be careful if you really start to drive vehicles into buildings. The property manager from the local baseball stadium called up our engineering office to tell us that the floors were cracking. When we went down there we found out they were driving beer trucks inside the building. To service the concessions underneath all the stadium.

Loaded beer trucks are like freaking battleships. They almost destroyed the building at Chukchansi park.

OTHERWISE,

KUDOS, to you and the whole crew for all of the humanitarian effort! I’m so glad that there are people who can get out and do that kind of work when it’s necessary, as I am getting too old.

My sister still does & every year she does the benefit spaghetti dinner at the legion hall.

It’s about all I can do to cook for the families when they come over. We have Christmas twice, and a total of 36 people showed up on 2 days.
We only had a couple of vans for deliveries, and a small box truck for supplies. So nothing more than the building is made for.

I appreciate the kudos, although that's not what I'm in it for (says the man, hypocritically, when he flaunts his charity-work on a bike forum). I just like to cook good food and make people happy. And it's fun to spend a week in a pro kitchen, pretending to be a chef and having minions to do the washing up and other naff tasks 😄
After wrapping up the big Christmas thing today I'm feeling ambivalent. On the one hand we've made a difference for the better right now. But on the other, the need is there all year round. We have the know-how and the volunteers, but no kitchen and not enough money to keep it going on a day to day basis. /rant
We did get a a lot of media coverage this year. So hopefully we can do some more large actions next year.

Cooking/caring for 36 people at home in 2 days must be brutal, especially without minions! But it looks like you had a nice time. Merry Cristmas!

Thank you,@ K_50 and fortunately the two days were not consecutive. We had a recovery day between.

So maybe you came here and tooted your own horn, but it makes us feel good to know that there are people out there doing charity work, while so much of the world is just focused on self beautification and making money “the easy way”.

Latest posts

Back