"What's in a name, anyway?"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
What's in a name, anyway? That which we call a nose by any other name could still smell.

I was reminded of a fun build-off thread from several years ago when I saw @LeMad Hatter 's recent name change.

Let us know the thoughts behind your choice of name for your build!

Well, my bike thread's name was kind of inspired by James Bond's iconic line "Bond, James Bond". I'm going to have to think of something new, since I just changed my bike to an unknown pre war frame

Last edited:
"The Sweet Marie chocolate bar was inspired by a love affair.
In 1893, after an evening stroll through the streets of London, Ontario, with his girlfriend Marie, author Cy Warman was so smitten that he sat down in a park and wrote a poem called “Sweet Marie.”
When musician Raymond Moore read the poem he put it to music, and the song became a hit that inspired a chocolate company to create the Sweet Marie chocolate bar."
My bike was originally owned by Jean Marie W, now being rescued for her granddaughter Candice Marie. I named my Canadian classic bike after the classic Canadian sweet. This is a love story.

Wards / Hawthorne Silver King frame as a basis. Converting to a belt drive. No chain used. Letting this one loose of the bonds of fenders, super shiny duralium tubes and lugs, fancy doo dads, etc. Pure hot rod. Hence:

Silver King Unchained.

aka SKU.

Ne'er-do-well *Deluxe*

Ne'er-do-well definition: an idle, worthless person; a person who is ineffectual, unsuccessful, or completely lacking in merit; good-for-nothing.

I'm likely to build this one as a traditional rat so it needed a name that fits. I hope the finished product is a bike that mothers would warn their sons against and fathers wouldn't let their daughters date (if a girl was so inclined o_O).

*Deluxe*

Because I have undiagnosed sense of humor issues that get foisted upon everyone I come into contact with.

Last edited:
There’s a derp in yer do, dude.
This week I've managed to bruise a finger nail and a day later jammed a knuckle on the finger next to it so my hen-pecking is a bit off

My build is Proud Mary because, well it needed a name. I always liked the basis for that song, and with the upgrade to 27.5x2.35 tires, I thought "Big wheels, keep on turning..." was appropo.

(edit) Also, that song is about finding a place that you fit in, among a bunch of degenerates and reprobates, so....

Last edited:
Shoestring

It's a bit of an odd name, but given that I'm trying to throw this bike together using what parts and pieces I already have, while sticking to a sort-of shoestring budget, I thought it fit the theme of this bike. Granted, it's not as much of a "shoestring budget" when I factor in just how much I've spent on all these parts and pieces over the years, but given that I'm trying to spend as little additional money on this bike as possible, I think it works.

Latest posts

Back