Wheel Lacing help needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all.
I am in need of a little assistance. I am trying to lace some balloon tire rims with the original spokes that came off of them so I know that they should fit. I have been following the instructions from this site (http://www.bikewebsite.com/build.htm) and all goes well. Right up to the point when everything is laced and all of the spokes are too long. (some by close to 1/2 inch). Even when you run the nipples down, the threaded spoke sticks out through the nipples and there is not enough thread for truing left. What am I missing here? Any help would be fantastic. Oh ya this is happening on 3 wheels so it has got to be me!
JimK

I am not sure. That is what I am hoping to find out. The spokes had been removed to make shipping easier so I never saw then built up. I have laced a few bicycle and motorcycle wheels in the past and never had an issue like this. But then again I am getting old!

JimK

Did you lace them right?
Is it across 2 spokes or 3 spokes?
Do you know what i mean?
Sorry i am dutch i dont exactly know how to explain..
Thus is across 2
e8ahy3ub.jpg

This is across 3
uba9e3ed.jpg

Do you see how the spokes cross 2 or 3 times?
Maybe thats your problem..

Frank
Customize!

The website shows an across 3. If the wheel is supposed to be an across 4 then the spokes will be too long for an across 3. Maybe you need to lace it across 4 (under 3, over 1)?

Rg

I am going to try that tonight. I am still trying how to work it out in my head but I am betting that is my issue.

Thanks again

JimK

Did you lace them right?
Is it across 2 spokes or 3 spokes?
Do you know what i mean?
Sorry i am dutch i dont exactly know how to explain..
Thus is across 2
This is across
Do you see how the spokes cross 2 or 3 times?
Maybe thats your problem..

Frank
Customize!

I have been doing cross 3. It has not worked. I am hoping to figure out the cross 4. We will see.

JimK

And while youve got them all out, measure them! Sometimes left and right are different sizes and it takes only 5 minutes, worth the effort in my opinion.

Frank

Customize!

Most f the truly old-school wheels were laced 4x. Which would be consistent with your "too-long" issue. So, yeah, try it 4x. It is possible that you have differing lengths for DS vs NDS, but it's unlikely on a c/b hub and a old-style front hub....

Just being thorough: you didn't mix up any spokes from one wheel to the next, did you?

Most f the truly old-school wheels were laced 4x. Which would be consistent with your "too-long" issue. So, yeah, try it 4x. It is possible that you have differing lengths for DS vs NDS, but it's unlikely on a c/b hub and a old-style front hub....
Just being thorough: you didn't mix up any spokes from one wheel to the next, did you?[/quote

The spokes are all the same length. I double checked. I tried the four cross but do not have a grasp on it I guess. I have no doubt that is the issue. Just need a wheel lacing for dummies book I guess.

JimK

Thank you everyone for all of the help. It looks like it was the cross 3 pattern that I was doing. I figured out the cross 4 pattern and it seems to have done the trick. Thanks again

JimK

Jim, I did one of mine this weekend (first I ever tried). It was a 3 cross, only thing I can say is, I can only get better at it... I couldn't do any worse. Is there a secret to the tightening sequence? I spent a LOT of time trueing the wheel after I was done.

Thanks, Rg

Jim, I did one of mine this weekend (first I ever tried). It was a 3 cross, only thing I can say is, I can only get better at it... I couldn't do any worse. Is there a secret to the tightening sequence? I spent a LOT of time trueing the wheel after I was done.

Thanks, Rg
I just snugged them down to equal points going aroud the rim a little at a time until they where all snug. Then the truing begins

Trueing is always neccessary because spokes ussually aren't made that precise;)
And there is no real tightening sequence, just take it slow and don't tighten them to much in one time.
And if the wheel is really crooked, just loosen them all and restart...:oops:
Frank
Customize!

This is a great thread! I was about to lace my first wheel cross 3, but decided to lace it a cross 4 as it is a 50's s2 26''. Worked out great. 270 mm DT swiss spokes 9/16" nipples, tensioned it up and its already pretty true. Will finish truing tomorrow and post some pic's. Thanks to all posters. CTAC

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back