Wheel sizing ?'s

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I’m new here and I’m just starting to get into building or restoring some older bikes. I have at least what I’ve measured, a set of 20” wheels. The tire size says 24x1.75 does this sound right?

No, the first number in the tire size (24" in your case) needs to be the same as the rim diameter. If the 24 rubber fits snugly on your rim, you have a 24 Inch rim. If you have pictures, post em, it'll help with identifying what you have.

Sheldon Brown Tire Sizes

Last edited by a moderator:
A 24" rim made for a 24" tire won't be 24" in diameter. It will be less. The 24" tires will be 1 3/8ths or 1.75. 24 x 1.75, decimal sizes should all have the same rim diameter. 1 3/8ths, fractions, will be a taller tire and use a different rim. Confusing, but the best way to avoid problems is to get the same exact size tire as what came off the rim. 24 x 1.75 should also read 507mm.
It all comes from the estimated height of the complete wheel, not the rim. Your tire is probably close to a 24" diameter measured from the top to bottom.

A 24" rim made for a 24" tire won't be 24" in diameter. It will be less. The 24" tires will be 1 3/8ths or 1.75. 24 x 1.75, decimal sizes should all have the same rim diameter. 1 3/8ths, fractions, will be a taller tire and use a different rim. Confusing, but the best way to avoid problems is to get the same exact size tire as what came off the rim. 24 x 1.75 should also read 507mm.
It all comes from the estimated height of the complete wheel, not the rim. Your tire is probably close to a 24" diameter measured from the top to bottom.
Well, I need new rims. The ones on it are terrible. So what size rims should I be shopping for? Thanks everyone for the help!

and why are the wheels no good? You'd be surprised what can be saved.

No, the first number in the tire size (24" in your case) needs to be the same as the rim diameter. If the 24 rubber fits snugly on your rim, you have a 24 Inch rim. If you have pictures, post em, it'll help with identifying what you have.

Sheldon Brown Tire Sizes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    753.2 KB · Views: 27
I’m not sure what type of bike it is really. When we were kids I would have called it a 20” bike. It’s along the same lines as a Huffy or Renegade. Just a regular kids bike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    769.3 KB · Views: 25
I really do appreciate the help. I love’em and want to start saving them. I enjoy tinkering. I can go top to bottom on an old car, but I REALLY don’t know that much about the old bikes.

Both wheels look like this and some of the spokes are broken. I realize I could work on these, and may end up doing it. I actually wanted to paint them anyway. I’m going for a Rat Rod look on this. I’m thinking black satin and pinstripes done in bone color. I gave 40 bucks for it, and really don’t want to have a bunch in it because I might sell it.

If it's a little kid bike, chances are good that you need 20x tires. There are plenty of used kids bikes that can be picked up for cheap that could be stripped down for parts. A donor bike could have that beauty rolling in no time

If it's a little kid bike, chances are good that you need 20x tires. There are plenty of used kids bikes that can be picked up for cheap that could be stripped down for parts. A donor bike could have that beauty rolling in no time
Yeah man! It just caught my eye. I think it was the mini apes. I knew someone loved this thing in the day.so you think 20x1.75 tires? I measured those wheels from top to bottom and I got 20”. The tires had 24x1.75 on them though so that’s what threw me.

Those were the wheels on it? If so, it's a 24" bike. The rim may measure about 20" in diameter, then add the tire height top and bottom, and you get 24". 24 x 1.75 rims is what you should look for. Most 24" beach cruisers today have that same size, so a donor bike will have tires, wheels, and other stuff that can go on your American classic bike. Look on CL for a 24" cruiser, probably pretty cheap in price.

The dropouts ID it as Columbia made, and the serial number should be on the left rear dropout. The letter it begins with will be a code for the year.

You should get it riding well, and then keep it, as a 24" girl's bike won't bring in much profit, even in excellent condition.

Latest posts

Back