Wheels of Confusion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I haven't used any Sabbath songs for a title yet so there's that. I'm also not sure about the ultimate drivetrain for this thing yet, or if I need to do any welding or not. But I've got a modern Whizzer frame, no heavy duty wheels yet and all the accoutrements from my old SGT.ROCK build. I went over to my other garage and picked them up this morning to start tinkering. Good thing we've got 4 months.

IMG_20210503_084923480_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210503_084844391_HDR.jpg

Carl.

Last edited:
After a little mix n' match, it's coming together nicely. A few things are just loosely attached and I've got to get some 1" headset parts but I like the heavyweight fenders on the middleweight frame. I could convert the heavy rear rack to a cafe racer style seat, it will hold me no problem and fits good, but that old leather seat is too cool not to use.

IMG_20210503_124637_986.jpg

I'm going to be building wheels for sure but I'm feeling good right here today.

Carl.

Last edited:
The mock up looks good, are you doing any chops or frame modification?
Probably not so I moved over to Class 1
Plus I've got a bonkers idea for a Class 2 build...
Cool start, Carl. Unsolicited idea: build the cafe seat with the rack and incorporate the springs from the old seat. They’d look trick hangin’ out the back.
furyus
I'm leaning towards some kinda seat mod...

Carl.

Last edited:
Probably not so I moved over to Class 1
Plus I've got a bonkers idea for a Class 2 build...
I wondered why you jumped into 2, and then I thought he a fixin on doing 2 builds...:grin: I might do the same, after I start this and wait for parts...

You confused me with the move. I was trying to figure out why my likes and comments weren't showing up from before. :D

You confused me with the move. I was trying to figure out why my likes and comments weren't showing up from before. :D
I suppose I could've asked Steve to move it as a whole but I didn't want to bother him, so I just did a copy and paste transfer.
I wondered why you jumped into 2, and then I thought he a fixin on doing 2 builds...:grin: I might do the same, after I start this and wait for parts...
Yep since we have 4 months I figured let's build the crazy build I've had in my mind for a long time...

Carl.

Haha! There it is!
No I have it still. I was just was waiting for an apropos time to post.
No news yet. I work in spurts so we'll see about tomorrow...

Carl.

Combined a 1 inch headset with an inch and an eighth, added a shim and I'm 99% done with the mismatched headset blues.
IMG_20210509_173626116.jpg

I may use these pink rims. But I'd have to relace a hub into the back wheel, I think...
IMG_20210509_173637903.jpg

Cleaned up serviced and swapped on a better back tire. Now this little 24" MTB is ready to go to the church rummage sale.
IMG_20210509_173743378.jpg

Nice work on the 2 1/8" headset

Nice work on the 2 1/8" headset
LOL let me figure that out. One inch tube on the fork + 1"&1/8 frame and headset with one inch bearings. Plus a shim in the 1"&1/8 bar clamp on the one inch fork tube... Yeah 2 1/8" sounds about right.

Carl.

Well I'm looking for a new rear hub. The alloy rims that were on SGT ROCK are too lightweight. I've got some decent 1.75" rims in pink, thick spokes, I started stripping one to lace in a bendix hub I have but when i went to drill out the hub for bigger spokes, lo and behold it's a 28 hole hub. Grr, I've got a 36 hole rim... And it needs to be HD if i go gas as planned. Any opinions out there for a good hub to use on a gasser?

GC.

Latest posts

Back