Where to find camelback Schwinns?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a thread on here with a blue camelback in the "fresh finds" forum, and I was wondering if any were made in green (especially) or orange (my second choice). Other than Craigslist & Ebay ,where would be the best places to look for a specimen?

Around here bikes are expensive. At flea markets & Goodwill beat up kid's bikes are $20+. I know I am going to pay quite a bit for a bike like this. That's ok with me, as long as it's in decent shape.

If anyone has any pics, feel free to post them.

For some reason, a lot of the "camelbacks" I've seen have been blue. I have seen yellow and black ones too though, and I had a red one (just a frame) that I blasted and sold to a fellow builder on here.

They are the smallest 26" size of the Schwinn lightweights. The rest of the lineup is all diamond-frames, and I don't know why the 17" frame was so different. Originally they were the "Speedster", but in later years the Speedster and Racer and Collegiate all shared frame styles.

Over the years they were offered in sky blue, red, coppertone, violet, green, yellow, and black. There may be a couple years (1973 or 74?) where orange ones were offered. The Manta Ray used a camelback frame, and they did make orange ones, but they are 24".

This style was made up through at least 1980, but again it's not a common model. One is for sale on my local Craigslist, and that's where I'd recommend finding one, but this guy wants too much ($100 for a ratty one). http://newlondon.craigslist.org

Good luck with your search, I'm sure one will turn up.

--Rob

GreatWhite00 said:
I saw a thread on here with a blue camelback in the "fresh finds" forum, and I was wondering if any were made in green (especially) or orange (my second choice). Other than Craigslist & Ebay ,where would be the best places to look for a specimen?

Around here bikes are expensive. At flea markets & Goodwill beat up kid's bikes are $20+. I know I am going to pay quite a bit for a bike like this. That's ok with me, as long as it's in decent shape.

If anyone has any pics, feel free to post them.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know they were made for several years. Hopefully I can snag one up locally. I would take any colour now that I think about it. There was a nicer orange Varsity on the Cleveland Craigslist, but for $99 I figured I would save up my money for the camelback when it pops up.

I want one to put on some straight bars or drop bars and a nice leather seat.

Looks like I answered my own question. I found a blue and green camelback in neighbouring states... :roll:

Looks like a mini trip will be in order real soon.

Great White;

We have two Camel-backs. Both my sons and my rat cruisers are built on them. Simple bikes that we call "Beach Racers". My son at 6'0" (14)and growing has out grown his. His frame may be up for sale or trade if we find a suitable replacement.

C.P., would that frame happen to be green?

Everything I find on Craigslist is sold by the weekend. I know patience will pay off and I'll end up with that green camelback I've been waiting for.

Last year when I had my 71 Schwinn Racer Deluxe I happened to come across a yellow camelback on craigslist. The best part was it was a frame, fork, crank, fenders and chainguard for $10. Unfortunately I was the second person who called (I called about 5 minutes after it was posted) so I missed getting it. :cry:

CP, I might be interested in red, as time goes on.

I've never seen a yellow one. I wonder if one has ever been made in the 1977 or 1978 Flamingo Pink? That would be cool.

Great White:
Let me know, remember this is based on finding a suitable replacement before sale or trade.

NLCTVWguy said:
They are the smallest 26" size of the Schwinn lightweights. The rest of the lineup is all diamond-frames, and I don't know why the 17" frame was so different. Originally they were the "Speedster", but in later years the Speedster and Racer and Collegiate all shared frame styles.

they 27" wheels. i'm building one rite now

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36196

I forgot about those. You found a camelback Varsity.

The Varsity is a 27" bike. The camelback was also made for the smallest size of the Collegiate and Speedster, which were 26" bikes. Same but different!

That Varsity is not a common model at all, there could not have been too many of those sold.

--Rob

beatcad said:
NLCTVWguy said:

they 27" wheels. i'm building one rite now

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=36196

mikesbikes36 said:
hey tim machine had one in the fresh finds i think ....he may sell it ...shoot him a pm ....not sure of the color tho !!! mike

His was the one that made me want one. I think it is a blue one in the for sale section.

I'm going to hold out for campus green. I'll find one someday...

I have a 1973 Schwinn Speedster 26 "camel back campus green all original except for the inner tubes. It is in terrific shape too, couple small scratches and nicks here and there but very good for how many years old. I currently have it apart because i'm cleaning it all up. But I thought it was very rare too because of the frame shape. I never found any that looked like mine. I bought it about 6 years ago off an old guy that owned a record store, and he said it was all original. Hope you like my post and picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75171856@N ... hotostream

I will post another pic of it complete when I get everthing clean and back together.

I also have a Campus Green camelback Speedster. I spent the better part of a year looking for exactly that combination, in reasonable shape. Basically, I just kept surfing craigslist/searchtempest until I found one near where I was going to be. I found it near Toledo, when I happened to be driving to Detroit for work.

IIRC, the lightweight Speedster (there was a canti-frame Speedster middleweight first) was originally a camelback version of the Racer. Somewhere in the early '70s, Schwinn dropped the Racer name and merged the two models under the Speedster name. So, all of the lightweight camelbacks where Speedsters, but not all Speedsters were camelbacks. At least until they started making camelback versions of the Collegiate and Varsity, but those are considerably rarer.

Greatwhite,
Still looking? I've got a campus green Collegiate, a '74 I think, all original (tires too) loaded with a catalog full of Schwinn approved accessories. $125.00
GEDC0002.jpg

I have this camel back frame that I am thinking about selling :wink: :wink: :wink:
IMAG0720-1.jpg

IMAG0722.jpg

IMAG0721.jpg

Latest posts

Back