Where to find front end.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not new to bicycles but am starting a new project and could use a quick tip. Here goes; my project starts with a 1960's schwinn 26 inch frame. What I want to end up with is a Krate style bike but big enough for me to fit comfortably and go cruising. My question is this; if I want to use a 20 inch front wheel and a 26 inch rear wheel to retain that hot rod 70's Krate styling, what size of springer front end should I buy? I am afraid that the bike will be off balance from front to back if I use the OEM Krate front end. Any help on the matter will be greatly appreciated. BTW, I saw a pic of a very similar bike on the Ape Hangers only club pics so I know it is possible.

Jiveturkey said:
I am not new to bicycles but am starting a new project and could use a quick tip. Here goes; my project starts with a 1960's schwinn 26 inch frame. What I want to end up with is a Krate style bike but big enough for me to fit comfortably and go cruising. My question is this; if I want to use a 20 inch front wheel and a 26 inch rear wheel to retain that hot rod 70's Krate styling, what size of springer front end should I buy? I am afraid that the bike will be off balance from front to back if I use the OEM Krate front end. Any help on the matter will be greatly appreciated. BTW, I saw a pic of a very similar bike on the Ape Hangers only club pics so I know it is possible.
You would have to use a 26 inch springer fork.

Chimi,

Thanks for the reply. I guess my worry would be that since the 26 fork would be made for the bigger wheel would using a 20 inch wheel drop the front end too much??

think of it this way, if all the parts of the bike are 26 in., and the only part you change is the front wheel/tire, the front end would be dropped down the difference between the 26 in. wheel/tire and the 20 in. wheel/tire.

My guess without measuring them is about 3-6 inches drop with a 20 inch wheel/tire - depending on the tires.

Thanks again guys for the help. I think the 24inch rear idea may be the best way to offset the difference. I appreciate the input.

mikesbikes36 said:
u could go with a 24 out back and a 20 in front ... someone did that here with a yellow lookin krate type bike

i agree. if you wanted to stay with a 26" rear, i think i'd look around for a 22" front. you don't see them too often but they exist, and would be more proportional to a 26" rear.

there'd also be the fork. i think a stingray krate uses a 24" fork, so with a 24" bike a 26" springer fork with the 24"/20" combo works out pretty well proportionally. even if you found a 22" front wheel, there's no springer type fork bigger then 26" (or is there?) to try and keep those proportions..

If you put a 20 inch wheel on the front of an otherwise stock 26 inch bike, it will drop the front by about 3 inches (the difference in radius), and the crank, being about halfway back, by about 1 1/2 inches. If you then put a 24 inch on the back, you'll drop the rear by an inch, and the crank another half. Plus or minus for differing tire "width" #'s or discrepancy of actual sizes, you may (or may not) hit the ground if pedaling through a turn unless you use a smaller "kid's bike" crank. :|

Thanks again everyone you have been a great help. Here is the plan, pretty much what Dr. T described but on a 24 frame instead of a 26. I think that will get me enough clearance for my pedals and a good balance from front to rear. :) I will let you know when I acquire the donor bike. I found one already but it looked like I probably would only be using the bars and frame ($150).. Seems a tad high to me but I have to start somewhere. :)

Latest posts

Back