Which decals would've been on this Skyrider Deluxe? Also tank internals?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can tell, there was a triangle one above the headlight on the tank (i9'm guessing a red triangle with AMF on it) and one around the seat post tube. But I'm not sure what they looked like. I know there was a chrome like decal with coloured bands on it but it looked like it was for a 70s model.

They look like they were recently removed too, judging by the colour/wear difference. Would like to figure out which ones, so I can find some for it.

the frame is stamped with an "L" which afaik is 1961 but the bike itself looks newer than that? I have a 1962 Skyrider (Stamped with an M for serial # )and there's some noticeable differences..(my 62 has heavier gauge peaked fenders, no seat clamp, different/heavier chain guard..etc)

Edit: also wondering, what internals did these tanks have? Did these ones have a horn in them?

P_20210516_172724.jpg

Last edited:
1621603965833.png

This one, year unknown, shows a switch on top of the tank. Yours doesn't have that, but must have had batteries for the headlights. Usually D cell back then. Maybe they fit in the front part? Otherwise there should be some kind of marks from a battery box inside. If it had a horn there would be a button.
I believe your bike is around 1968-69 from all the pics I've looked at.

View attachment 158197

This one, year unknown, shows a switch on top of the tank. Yours doesn't have that, but must have had batteries for the headlights. Usually D cell back then. Maybe they fit in the front part? Otherwise there should be some kind of marks from a battery box inside. If it had a horn there would be a button.
I believe your bike is around 1968-69 from all the pics I've looked at.

Yea, missing the battery door on mine, so maybe the switch+button were integrated into that. I could always add a horn to it, even if it didn't have one originally...got some buttons and switches layng about as well as a small horn somewhere. Kinda assumed either C orD-Cell because everything seemed to run off them, back then.

you take the Front plastic piece off of the screws on each side and tank separates from the front and spteads open.
Right, there won't be a battery door, tanks had to be dismantled to change batteries. Usually 2 "d" cell batteries were needed.

I'm still looking for a better view of that tank, but did find one with the triangular AMF decal above the headlight like yours:
1621723096979.png

Some more info. From a thread here back in 2018. The owner said it was bought new in 71, but had been on display for a long time. The BMA6 decal came out in 71 on all American made bikes, and this bike doesn't have it, so I'm guessing 1970 for this bike. The serial number begins with "M". Yours starts with "L" so maybe it's 69. All the features look that year.
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/1971-roadmaster-skyrider-deluxe.106714/The sequence of letters and years still needs to be worked out, I tried to run a coherent sequence from 63 and it doesn't match up.

The triangle headbadge was pretty much a given.

View attachment 158459

The seattube decal will be tougher to find.

Thanks, I bet I could get a local vinyl place or someone to make me up a couple of these. I've been looking and can't find the seat tube decal.

Some more info. From a thread here back in 2018. The owner said it was bought new in 71, but had been on display for a long time. The BMA6 decal came out in 71 on all American made bikes, and this bike doesn't have it, so I'm guessing 1970 for this bike. The serial number begins with "M". Yours starts with "L" so maybe it's 69. All the features look that year.
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/1971-roadmaster-skyrider-deluxe.106714/The sequence of letters and years still needs to be worked out, I tried to run a coherent sequence from 63 and it doesn't match up.

Thanks. I kinda expected it to be a later year than my other Skyrider, just based on the sprocket, chainguard differences and the thinner gauge metal used for the chaingiard and fenders on it.. This newer one i picked up, the chainguard and fenders are a much thinner metal., was easy to bang out the dents in the fenders, my other bike, they don't squish so easily lol.

Thanks, I bet I could get a local vinyl place or someone to make me up a couple of these. I've been looking and can't find the seat tube decal.

I found this one, used on their muscle bike version, but it's not quite the same.

s-l400.jpg

If it helps, I believe the headtube triangle decal has sides measuring 1" and a hypotenuse of 1 ⁹/₁₆".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back