Whitewall, gumwall, blackwall

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
On these 26” bmx or strandie bikes what tire would be appropriate, for a given year, or brand? The cheap stud style tire seems to work well with these builds, but what color, for what style, or year, or whatever would have made them put certain tire on them?

skinwall and gumwall are two different types as well :grin:.

If you are looking for a '70s or older vibe, you are pretty much limited to studded or 'semi-knobbie' tires from traditional manufacturers (carlisle, kenda, etc) in white or black wall. When the 'comp' tires hit the market, that was all the rage. I think the early OM-Flyers came with Comp IIs in around '80 or so...it would be near then that carlisle and mitsu were coming out with gumwalls and treads in color and such.

Jason

Oh all my bikes have turned into this kind of build. I honestly like the higher pressure tires like k rad or holy roller.
Most have a wald or Akisu straight fork, and a 4 bolt stem of some sort.
I was thinking if I had to buy a set of tires maybe I’d try to be a little more period correct.
But I was really just looking to drum up some activity here

Most of the period correct tires are like 35 psi. I hear ya on diggin a higher psi. I have the Resist Nomad on two builds and I really like them. Skin wall, great smooth tread, and high psi.
I like k-rads and holly rollers a lot as well. The holly roller is one of the best all around tires out in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back