Why I love estate sales

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped at an estate sale during my Saturday morning garage sale cruise and found some nice goodies. No bikes to be found, but I thought this aluminum box would look good on the rear rack of one of my bikes and it was full of stuff, so I forked over $5.00 for it. One of the guys running the sale was a relative of the homeowner (who I assume has died recently,) and he told me the box was full of shoe shining stuff.

box01.jpg

It has a nice brass hinge and and a leather lining, I think it was probably home-made.
box02.jpg

I opened it and realized that it was a gun cleaning kit so I asked if there were any guns for sale, but they were snapped up already. Here are the contents:

gunstuff01.jpg

This tool is a mystery to me, it looks like the hinged part functions as a screwdriver and is slotted on the right end (maybe for a chamber swab?) The stuff on the left end is more of a mystery, can anyone identify this thing?

gunstuff02.jpg

This looks like a bore inspection tool, possibly home-made. It has a mirror mounted inside at a 45-degree angle.

gunstuff04.jpg

Moving into another room, I found some nice vintage leather suitcases, but put them back when I spotted these old rangefinder cameras:

cameras01.jpg

cameras02.jpg

They turned out to be a Contax II which I believe dates from the 1940's and a 1952 Contax IIa, both made by Zeiss-Ikon. I also bagged a Schneider-Kreuznach telephoto and another Zeiss lens, and it's all in nice condition. My wife grabbed some stuff from the kitchen, and I offered $65 for the lot and we had a deal. I really enjoy estate sales...

I also got this cool folding brass and wood ruler which is very nicely machined, but does not have a manufacturer's stamp. It certainly looks old.

ruler01.jpg

ruler02.jpg

ruler03.jpg

Latest posts

Back