Winged Steed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "Winged Steed"

Welp, since my current project is taking wayyyy too long, I'm starting a new one. It all begun with this :

NmhMaX4.jpg

An old 24" coaster brake wheel that was once used to build a bike for a friend. I decided it was time to build something to put that wheel on.

qP8DmEj.jpg

The bike I'm talking about. My friend drew it and I built it for him. I always loved this frame, except for the ridiculous head agle he chosed and the very low pro look. I wanted something more traditional.

aux7ob1.jpg

Here's my drawing. It took me quite a while to get it the way I wanted, mostly because I wanted a very aggressive look but my first drawings included waves and bent tubes. I ditched the whole wavy thing and just went with straght tubes. I lowered the saddle and got the head angle way steeper for a more relaxed ride. Ground clearance is ridiculous but it'll be fine. For the wheels, we have the 24" in the back and for the front I chose a bigger, thinner 700 wheel.

2fyOiNJ.jpg

Upscalling is the first part, getting all the proportions right is quite the challenge.

ORGZjHs.jpg

I ended up rebuilding the 24" to a thicker rim to fit a massive 24x3.0 tire

VISaTUb.jpg

I started by building the rear triangle, and I wasn't very succesful. Didn't have a tube bender on hand, so I filled thee tubes with sand and heated them up. Didn't go as expected, so later I welded some support where the tube pinched.

Aq8ayGe.jpg

I'm using the full scale model as a jig for y cuts and welds.

NWRjXON.jpg

Makin' some progress

bxzyGMD.jpg

First sei complete build. Just missing the forks, and the top triangle hasn't been trimmed yet. The tire barely clears and the dropouts provide some precise tuning.

3XBXfPC.jpg

I built on and forgot to take pictures! here' the first blank builld. The forks are triple tree based on soe I sa on the internet, but I reworked the design a little bit. The front dropouts are made larger to reduce fork wobble. Got the handlebars from a folding bike, and I shortened a small stem.

djDHALx.jpg

With the 80mm rim, there was significant rubbing, here's a dished sprocket! Unfortunately that wasn't enough....

y0FlhHD.jpg

BOOM! I made a dished 3 piece crank! It was an old women's city bike crank, I threaded the original ring and bolted the top one on, then made some small standoffs that I welded.

J3RJE2Q.jpg

This gves about 10mm dish out.

2QEH2nV.jpg

Getting better.... Not perfect!

v4JqSNC.jpg

It was then time for paint. My spray gun is clogged so I used some rattle cans, that gave unexpected good results...

Mkkp8Rw.jpg

Do you believe it?

Q4nKgLn.jpg

This is a chinese wrench that I broke a while back, thought it would make anice kickstand.

tDXZigq.jpg

First proper test ride!

cgMQV8G.jpg

Time to build the front wheel. I had an old weinmann rim with spokes, I just bought the disc hub.

0tRDc25.jpg

Completed the cockpit. I added some grips, a peugeot bell, and the front brake. The cable goes inside the fork for a cleaner look.

1Q3Avg6.jpg

Found this cool disc in my parts pile, and I wlded the support for the disc brake, because moron myself forgot to do it before.

5BEqC6y.jpg

The bike finally embrassing its name. The decal was hand painted by my girlfriend on the headplates.

j7E7hkx.jpg

Quick shot before another test ride.

6eM9D15.jpg

Scrapes just a little bit, nothing too bad.

BIRgfWO.gif

A gif of me fooling around at night!

rLfx1Ow.jpg

Aaaaaand it's broken. Me scraping everywhere ruined my old lyotard pedals :/

Y6cd1Eu.jpg

Thankfully, nothing a quick weld can't fix!

L4Y3N1h.jpg

Got myself a more confortable saddle, wasn't please with the aestethics of the plastic one either.

fXzdYI3.jpg

The final part... The moment you know you're about to complete a bike, feels good man. Got a whitewall for the front.

The final pics for you to enjoy!

970Rqkj.jpg

bC7nurh.jpg

This build was very quick, about two days of work, but it was still a very good experience, and I hope you enjoyed reading this build thread. I don't think the bike is going to change, but if so I'll pos it here!

Great job!
Pretty cool to put an awesome scratch built bike on the road in such a short amount of time

Latest posts

Back