WINTER BUILD OFF- My junk dont have no name yet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, this is the starting point. From what I can pull together is that its a Columbia frame, and I'll be using parts from out of my shed to put it all together. QUESTION: I noticed it has some frame damage(as pictured) and I intend on fixing it while keeping the bike stock, so does that keep me in traditional? or anything goes? And what about a tank plate welded in?

Anywho... The pictures.

'

That's all for now. I'm waiting on a few things before I start weighing my option on parts.

Love the frame! Great start point!
Seems to make sense, repairs back to original or close to specs is Traditional, welding in a tank plate would be Anything goes... No problem with being anything goes anyway, all in the same voting pool at this point, that frame would look awesome with a welded in plate.

Luke.

UPDATE. Finally after all the holiday rush and crazy hours at work, I was able to get a minute to mess with this. For those Columbia enthusiasts, could you possibly put a date on this thing? The rear drop out says B 50030. Not a whole lot of work done, but its gonna be slow going (hopefully I get a break from work for a few days). On with the bad cell phone pics...
A little sanding/paint strip done

And some parts for the build. Old junk seat and a slowriderz seatpost.

Morrow hub that I will be lacing up to these rims and tires. QUESTION: Why wont this hub stop? I believe all the parts are there, and in working order. It worked before I cleaned all the 50+ year old grease out, but not when its all cleaned and lubed. :mad:

Some bars and grips, and possibly using this plate.

If I use this plate, it would be like the bike went back in time. :crazy:

That's all for now :)

I hate to say it, but for a number of factors it looks like I won't be finishing this build in time. With the weather the way it is, and the lack of time to work on it(a lot of procrastination) its looking like it just won't happen by march 1st.

On the upside though, I did get the frame fixed, but paint just can't happen in -3 weather.

That's a shame... but I can certainly understand... no way would I be doing this stuff in -3º temperatures... brrr :eek:

Suggestion though... what if you just assemble it as is... with no paint... get a rider and submit. Consider it a "shake down build off" to get it riding but not "completed", don't worry about the paint, you can finish it at your leisure o_O

Just a thought, it's entirely up to you :)

Glen.

I agree with Glen, unless you are planning on painting or clearcoating the rims. I love the brick tires on the rims with patina. That is what I did on Firewing last year with just clearcoat. Maybe put it together with another wheelset and name the build "UN-DONE"

The rims as well as the frame were supposed to be painted with gloss black rollbar paint (leftover from a hot rod project) but I don't have a source of heat for the garage yet. Ill probably get it rideable and submit it, but just like everything I own, it won't be done yet.

The rims as well as the frame were supposed to be painted with gloss black rollbar paint (leftover from a hot rod project) but I don't have a source of heat for the garage yet. Ill probably get it rideable and submit it, but just like everything I own, it won't be done yet.
Is a bike ever really done? Every time I wear out a set of tires I use it as an excuse to try something different. Get it rolling unpainted, paint it, paint it again, the fun part of building bikes is unlike cars, you can change the whole look in ten minutes for less than an oil change costs.

Is a bike ever really done? Every time I wear out a set of tires I use it as an excuse to try something different. Get it rolling unpainted, paint it, paint it again, the fun part of building bikes is unlike cars, you can change the whole look in ten minutes for less than an oil change costs.

Lucky for me, I get both paint and oil if I need for a more than reasonable price (I manage a parts store) and that helps. This year is gonna be a busy year with a few projects planned. Lots of bikes, group rides, and swap meets. And if money permits, maybe a v8 Vega. :) Maybe I should get busy and sell a few more bikes.

I brought the bike back inside tonight and put a skim coat of quiksteel as filler over the welds to reinforce everything. After a good sanding sometime tomorrow, ill get a update picture. I also dabbed a little of the leftover of the quiksteel putty on a part of the forks over the holes to mount the fenders. I might decide to run a bobber fender on the back, depending on the looks of everything. Its just too cold to think....

the frame cleaned up real nice!!!!! good job!

Troy

Latest posts

Back