WINTER BUILD OFF "STEEL CITY"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow I will be stopping by the metal supply to pick up some tubing for the stretch and thick wall tubing for the 3speed cog/disk adapter.

Nito

Its an old term used in the hotrod and 4x4 circles. It refers to the popular Lincoln welders of the time. A guy would weld the spider gears together and to the differential carreir in the rear axle. It would lock the tires together for full traction. I'm going to weld the free wheel cog so it is locked to the rim.

Nito

I have scoured the web and haven't seen a set up like this before. If anyone has heard of or done this before advice would be appreciated for ideas. But I think I have it under control.
I did a similar set up on BigJim, but with a multi speed cassette and derailleur on the jackshaft.

9299363880_6766ee2569_z.jpg

Looking good by the way, the internal geared hub will be much neater than the cassette style!

A welded up diff is called a "Boc Locker" in Australia, named after a big welding supply company: B.O.C.

Luke.

I like your thinking on this with the jackshaft hub.

Unfortunately with the holidays and my helicopter side job there hasn't been much progress. I did do some design work on the 3spd jack shaft, scrounged a disc caliper from a mtn bike I found by my dumpster and mocked up the jack shaft placement.
Keep in mind, the crank will be relocated forward and higher then pictured here.

All in one in front of wheel....
8yba8esu.jpg
ypa4yze2.jpg

Jack shaft in front and disk on wheel...
hutu4azu.jpg
y2ugy7uh.jpg

Nito

What do you think about the quality of the rear rim? I have one on my Muscle bike build, Headbanger, and wish I had a better replacement... I mean it's ok, but...

Carl. :headbang:

What do you think about the quality of the rear rim? I have one on my Muscle bike build, Headbanger, and wish I had a better replacement... I mean it's ok, but...

Carl. :headbang:

My thoughts exactly. I definitely won't be jammin on the brakes to lay a down any sweet skids! That would probably rip the hub right out of the wheel!!! Thats probably why they come with canti brakes. I think the all in one trans. brake set up looks the best, but it's gonna put a ton of rotational tork on the spokes.

I might add front brakes on a twist to do the real stopping. Definitely going to do a suicide shifter and suicide trans. brake handle tho!

Nito

Thx for the encouragement guys! The next items on the list will be BB relocation, shave old BB and the jack shaft.

Nito

Latest posts

Back