Winter tires? Do your ride all Winter?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Who in the mid-west rides all winter, and what do you put on your wheels to do it?

I currently have "winter tyres" by Australian standards, but that just means they're good in the rain.
Wondering if I need something more substantial to do it.

Re: Winter tires? Do your ide all Winter?

Skipton rides in Chicago through the winter. I dont' think he has studded tires.

I ride with studded on one of my bikes, but they are not necessary. A mountain bike tire ran at lower pressures can make a world of difference for traction. Also lower your seat a little to make putting a foot down easier.

Verrt Hi I didn't see who wrote the post ! The city may be a little better road wise than out here in Geneva this is the conditions we have for snow out here. This is my snow tire rig full susp for lumpy rolled over ice. We do have a snow plow service a friend of mine does and we help do if it gets too bad.
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Done by Bike!

Friend Dave pulling the snow plow!

My ride to work.

Ric on one of the Chicago rides with son Johnny

better view of plow

Haha, mad. I don't think I'll be doing any plowing.
But I might invest insome studded tyres, especially after watching that lakeshore vid.

For winter around here I normally ride whatever cheap wally world mountain bike I have laying around or any 26" bike with mountain bike tires (I have a stack of them) with around 30psi instead of my summer pressure of 40psi and that normally works great. This year I am running my new Mongoose Beast which should have no trouble with traction. As far as winter wear I have a Carhart jacket, Carhart coveralls, a Carhart sock hat, and I have a pair of Whitewater hunting gloves that are fingerless with a mitten pocket that rests on a magnet against the back of the hand and can be flipped over to cover the fingers if they get cold. Great for regulating hand temperature and great for bow season too. :mrgreen:

Verrt said:
Oh, here's another one, what do you wear to keep warm?

Just remember that your body warms ups. My commute is fairly short, but I still ride everyday.

Head to Toe:
Thin fleece beanie that fits under my helmet.
Gloves-thin wool
Underarmour Tshirt or somehting similar/ Long sleave / My bike jacket(lined shell)
Pants.
Wool socks and Leather shoes.

This outfit is good from 10-40F. Colder than 10 I usually add a vest and warmer gloves.

I do a layered T-shirt ,long sleeve shirt , fleece then a wind proof shell. If it starts to really get cold I have
A North Face multi layer vented coat. For gloves I have some winter gloves from Performance Bikes at -5 or so
I might put wind pants over my jeans . Warm dry feet are a must. For me an over the ankle hiking boot .

I ride in Northern Wisconsin and then a month in New Jersey. I use the Knobby Mountain Bike Tires. a little low on air. But no matter what I use, unless I am careful I am on the ground. Especially after slush has frozen hard in some areas.
Good Luck

XC204 said:
Ric on one of the Chicago rides with son Johnny

Separated at birth???
375406.1_crop_650.jpg

Latest posts

Back