worksman pt folding trike - rear axle bearings damage

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worksman Port O Trike Rear Frame has 4 bearings (2 per wheel) that are pressed into the frame.
Noticed that the two interior bearings appear to be damaged, the inner ring is cocked out of alignment and it doesn't rotate with the axle.
When I turn the axle, the axle spins freely without the inner ring moving much (as shown in attached video)

I got the trike used, so not sure what could cause this and/or if theres potentially any other damaged components aside from the bearings.

I looked up parts list, seems like theyre cartridge bearings worksman part# 173.
I'll probably give worksman a call, not sure if these are proprietary bearings or not. Would like to buy a quality aftermarket bearing (such as SKF) but I don't see any markings on the bearings so may just stick to worksman's parts.

Just documenting my work here, in case anyone has any advice feel free to let me know!
Will update.

Attachments

• untitled.mp4
    18.5 MB
  • rear_axle_frame.jpg
    rear_axle_frame.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 57
  • bearing.jpg
    bearing.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 63
  • partsList.jpg
    partsList.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 54
I'd be surprised to discover those cartridge bearings are proprietary. Any with the same ID/OD and a reasonable width could likely substitute. In a fantasy world, those four bearings would be perfectly aligned along a single vector...but this ain't Oz.

Sounds good and makes sense, thanks.
Judging by an old thread here by user xray, it looks like these bearings are also spot welded into place along the lip of the bearing (atleast I think this highlighted seam is part of the bearing. Will need to grab a dremwl.

On a side note, I wish this company would have an exploded parts diagram, going to have to call and find out if the rear wheels should have washers as well.

Attachments

• maybeSpotWelded.jpg
    maybeSpotWelded.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 45
The thing I find a little odd is the axle is so far off center. Hopefully that's just from the bearing failure and not from something being bent.

If you can find a number on one of the bearings finding a replacement should be easy. This is a common trike axle bearing but looks like yours might have a flange? And possible welded? Oy....good luck.

1630188181456.png

Aye Chad, its very off center atleast it is at the two interior bearings, surprised that it rotates so freely in the bore without grinding or binding. Also I dont see any shavings so I dont think the axle has been cut over time.
It operates quite well for my family member who uses it for putting around, almost tempted to leave it as is but I dont know much about the mechanics of the situation and am concerned it may be a bad idea to leave it be

I'm having trouble making sense of everything I'm seeing ... but, to me it looks like the weld is on a race, not bearing. Welding on the bearing would greatly diminish it's life as the grease would turn to liquid and drool out. The bearings look to have lost their balls, which is why there is no grinding... there's nothing to grind against. The ring seems like it should somehow retain the bearing...but I don't see how it works (no split no groove no shoulder).

Looks like total disassembly is needed for total understanding :grin: .

Aye, thanks for the input Rusty! Good point on the grease issue with spot weld. I think the welds are on the outter flange but I could be mistaken.
Contacted worksman and they verified the bearing part I needed was PN 173, may order it from them but im tempted to disassemble and break out calipers to measure and see if I can find a suitable option from a quality bearing co like SKF etc.
Worksman did inform me that using the bike will destroy axle in current condition, heres hoping it isnt already damaged from prev owner.
Will certainly update, cheers again fellas.

Latest posts

Back