Wow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
parting out a complete bike............. nuff said!

ps. sad very sad

I'm not sure if you're talking about a particular post or not , but I see a lot of nice old bikes on here stripped of the fenders and parts that make the bike special , in my opinion. :(

wasnt a post, its in the ebay collum. its just amazes me how easy hobbies turn into "just make a buck" i'm just ranting!

i think hes refering to the 24" streamliner in the side scrolling ebay banner. the price on the tank alone is about as much as id pay for the whole bike.

frame fork guard 165
tank 325
truss rods 100
rear wheel 100
seat 100
rack 66

and thats just whats scattered in the banner

CCR you know me like the back of your hand! just dont tell me what your doing with your hand. :shock:

awsome bike... but i wouldnt put it past them to part out!

I know the guy selling those parts and I think that with the economy the way it is, he might be able to make more cash by breaking it up than waiting on someone who will pay his rather high price for the bike complete. He's a custom builder/collector and he's probably sitting on (in a good economy) a half million worth of vintage bicycle frames, wheels and specialty parts. Honestly I'm not surprised he's having to break up some of them, it sucks, but hey you got to pay the bills somehow right?

Later Travis

oh yeah, more in parts than whole for sure, some people just dont like to see a nice whole bike parted out. i love schwinns, but the second i see 24" i dont care for some reason :lol:

i do understand economy and havin to pay the bills.... just hurts as a collector and it doesnt have to be a schwinn eather..
hope not to ruffle to many feathers!

I look at it this way:

Say I have a great, nearly pristine bike except for the tank. The seller provides a service to me by selling me the tank. Another person needs the rack ... etc. The hobbie does not necessarily suffer. I could even be persuaded to argue that it benefits the hobbie by restoring several bikes instead of leaving one pristine bike sitting unsold. Sure the seller makes a buck. Good on him, I say. He's hustling to make a living or supplement his income so he can have a better life. no ruffled feathers, just my .02. :)

I totally understand the whole collector original argument, as I'm a collector of other fine and much more expensive hobbies, but I can also see it from his stand point. About 3-4 years ago when everyone was living high on the hog and everyone thought valuable collectibles would only continue to rise in value, nobody argued about paying whatever a fellow collector wanted for anything cause it would only go up in value from there. I know for a fact that Tyler has spent a ton of money in the past 10-15 years accumulating all the super rare bikes in his collection of nearly 100 bikes.

Now that times are tough for everyone, nobody wants to pay what they're really worth. Sometimes you've got to do what you always promised yourself you'd never do. Sell your stuff, cause when your dead or worse, homeless, all those expensive things are just weight on your shoulders your lugging around with you. After visiting Tyler at his very nice 5 bedroom house in Golden CO, I asked him what ever would he do with all this stuff if he ever had to move? He looked at me with a very worried look on his face and said, "whatever you do, don't ever ask me that question again". We both laughed a little and he quickly changed the subject.

I've always seen him selling different parts on Epay but even I was a little shocked to see him breaking up complete vintage bikes. Everybody's got to eat, and last I checked 24" Schwinn's are a little tough to digest.

Later Travis

Tyler started a hipster/rave clothing company back in the late 80's/early 90's and since he's always had dreadlocks the name just fit. I think at one time he had another company ebay account as Luxury Lowriders but when he closed his bike company for a few years that went away. Tyler and I used to be barfly buddies and we used to tear up the Denver strip clubs but I can say he's really turned his life around having now been sober for the last 5 years and myself for the last 2-1/2 years. I don't talk with him as much as I should these days. I can't just drop by his house anymore either.

I suppose that's enough said. :D

Later Travis

Latest posts

Back