X-53: Dirt Machine

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Man, you folks have some GREAT builds going! I lost my camera, but found it, and have so many other projects (+ work) that I was thinking about skipping this build, but after seeing all your cool builds, I feel inspired to play. :D

I got thsi frame a a yard sale about 2 years ago, it has hung on the wall in my shop. I was saving it for my wife but she said "what do I need a bike for" - so off the wall & on the floor with it :mrgreen:

From searching, I think it's a 1953 Western Flyer X-53. Frame is super solid, small bend on one of the top tubes, but no holes or breaks anywhere. At this point I have no clue WHAT it'll be yet... need to start hunting parts. I used the forks for the crodhopper in last build, so need to find other forks, or take them back.

Not sure if I'll finish, but maybe by starting this thread it'll get me going. Cheers!

wf_02.jpg

wf_01.jpg

man youre done, throw some wheels stuf an leave it as is. thats one sweet rat frame.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

I do have the forks on the RRBBO #2 bike I did, I might put the frame & the right forks back together, but not sure yet. What do you guys think? I wanted some stronger springer forks for crodhopper any ways.... just not sure...

You can see the forks that go to this frame the crodhopper build thread. THANKS.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3410&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Did some work yesterday evening - started cleaning up & sanding frame a little, found a giant globby weld under the back rack thing - it was nasty. Grinded it off, and straightened the one bent bar...

THE GLOB:
dirt_01.jpg

dirt_02.jpg

Now for the forks...

I still may use the original forks, but I am worried the FAT tires I have won't fit, they might, and I might still use them, BUT I wanted to try to make something a little different, and a little wider. They springs are placed on the forks where they are so they do not hit the tire, or the spokes. Fun stuff..

THE (solstice) FORKS:

dirt_03.jpg

dirt_04.jpg

dirt_05.jpg

dirt_06.jpg

dirt_07.jpg

dirt_08.jpg

dirt_09.jpg

dirt_10.jpg

dirt_11.jpg

dirt_12.jpg

dirt_13.jpg

dirt_14.jpg

That frame is soooooooo cool!.........That fork, oh that fork. You have come up with the "best" and most simple one yet!......Did I say BEST?.... I meant....BEST!

kingplinker said:
THE GLOB:
dirt_01.jpg

[/img]
I forgot. This does NOT look like a weld, :roll: I'm sorry!...........We know what it is. :wink: What makes it worse is you had to "grind" it off!

this bike is going to be too kool. luv those forks. nice job

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back