Yard Ornament -7/31 AS GOOD AS IT'S GONNA GET!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Yard Ornament - Lights Added 6/30

Looking great!
Just wondering how those lights would look at the sides of a tank... :roll:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Or hung from the top tube AS the tank?

Love the front end work on this ride, true vision, skill and craftsmanship at work here.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Listen to the Doctor! :D

one of the best looking springer forks i have seen in a long time. excellent execution , fantastic looks that forks has it all simplicity at its finest..........

Re: Yard Ornament -Drillin holes & makin guard brackets

I thought the bike was gettin a little heavy so drilled some holes in the spring fork dropouts. Good for maybe 2 grams weight loss?
DSCF1340.jpg

Had to make chain guard brackets. The first was pretty conventional:
DSCF1334.jpg

The second slightly more complex. Started with this:
DSCF1339.jpg

Made this:
DSCF1336.jpg

DSCF1338.jpg

Fits like this:
DSCF1335.jpg

DSCF1333.jpg

Just gotta finish drillin some holes to attach the bracket to the guard. I'm a little nervous about welding the two aluminum parts with a torch and some rod. A little too much heat and the guard is toast

Re: Yard Ornament -Drillin holes & makin guard brackets 7/7

i cant fathom your incredible ability to make your own parts, i just rely on what i may have thrown on my shelf over the years :mrgreen:

Re: Yard Ornament -Drillin holes & makin guard brackets

z-bikes said:
Just gotta finish drillin some holes to attach the bracket to the guard. I'm a little nervous about welding the two aluminum parts with a torch and some rod. A little too much heat and the guard is toast
i wouldn't weld it. It's only holding up the chain guard.....maybe just a tac?

Re: Yard Ornament -In Primer & Paint Color Preview

I've been busy on the bike but haven't posted in a while. Been working on the paint and prepping all the parts for hopefully the final assembly. The frame had a lot of pitting in the metal so I had to use a filler primer and do a lot of wet sanding to get it ready for paint. Here it is in the back yard where I wet sanded it.

DSCF1342.jpg

Hangin in the garage ready for the final coat of primer.

DSCF1344.jpg

In primer and ready for paint!

DSCF1341.jpg

Sneak preview of the color.

DSCF1343.jpg

AAAARRRGGGHH!!!(CHARLIE BROWN SCREAM) I WAS WAITING FOR THIS AND NOW IT'S ON...GET TA PAINTIN'!! PEACE

I'll go ahead and say it before anyone else does.
I am Green with envy. :roll:

wow this is taking shape very nicely but i did have a question on the trus rods you made you used a hollow ss steel rod?? i love the direction your going with this and everything you have done keep it up ...

The truss rods are made from 1/2" Stainless tubing, the kind used for hydraulic or pneumatic lines in industry. A 7/16" fine thread tap worked perfectly to tap the top for the studs I made out of 7/16" bolts. I cut a screwdriver slot into the top of the studs so you can turn them in or out of the truss rods before tightening the lock nuts. This changes the overall length of the truss rods and allows you to center the wheel in the fork.

Re: Yard Ornament -7/23 New Parts & Ready for Assembly

Worked on buffing the new parts to get them ready for installation. Not a fun job! Here's a picture of the new parts made for the build. Most are ready to be installed, some need final buffing. The new SS seatpost has to be bent yet but I'm waiting for the seat to arrive before I do it. It's longer than normal so it can be raised for longer rides.

DSCF1348.jpg

Ran the new springs and the bearing cups through the buffer too.

DSCF1349.jpg

Buffed the raised portions of the chain guard, then painted the rest. Have to clean up where the paint got under the tape. I used Thin Line Tape and wasn't too happy with it.

DSCF1350.jpg

Got my new grips today. I'm liking them!

DSCF1353.jpg

I'm Gumby Da.mnit! :lol:

kingfish254 said:
I'm Gumby Da.mnit! :lol:

I am digging that color.

I stole the idea from a friend who's building a 38 Ford and was going to paint it approximately that color with red painted wheels.

im green with envey bike is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back