Year of this Raleigh please?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know the year of this Sports model with the twist shifter?
Thanks.

Attachments

• rs2.jpg
    rs2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 33
  • rs4.jpg
    rs4.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 27
  • rs1.jpg
    rs1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 27
  • rs3.jpg
    rs3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for the reply! I don't have yet...thinking about getting.
Any other way from pics.....chain ring maybe? Also when they had twist shifter
instead of trigger?

Late 70s it early 80s if the Shimano hub is origina( but I don't think it is) mid 80s the pedels are the block type with reflectors ,70s would have been flat, and the chain Ring is generic round not the heron. I would say a about 82-83

I didn't know they put Shimano hubs on a Raleigh. I didn't even notice it wasn't a SA twist grip. I stand corrected.

It is a good bike, but it's not a bargain if it's not the one you want. Sturmey hubs are stronger than that era of Shimano. Some say it's because they weren't engineered with export in mind and the average Japanese rider weighed less than their British counterparts.

It is a good bike, but it's not a bargain if it's not the one you want. Sturmey hubs are stronger than that era of Shimano. Some say it's because they weren't engineered with export in mind and the average Japanese rider weighed less than their British counterparts.
I have a t-shirt from Flying Ball Bike Shop in Hong Kong that's XXL and fits like a L.

Thanks all...guy wanted 100. Think I will pass as I like SA and the Heron Chain ring.
Thought it was older also.....
Be patient you will find one for that price the sold millions of those things. Look for 50s to mid 70s and make sure it's complete replacement parts are tricky because of Raleigh threading and 40 hole rims.

Probably not a Raleigh. Twist grip was popular in the early 60's, there were no Hong Kong Raleigh bikes at that point and they certainly wouldn't have used Shimano parts.
The CG decal is 70's era, the bike is early 60's. Since there are no other decals, maybe someone did a repaint of cheap bike and added a Raleigh Sports decal?
I've only seen two cg styles on Raleigh bikes here, the pre-76 hockey stick style and the 76-83 version with an extra 'dip' behind the front sprocket.

Raleigh Sports used a tubular crown fork, rubber mounted rear reflector, and Sturmey Archer hubs.
That bike has none of those.

Probably not a Raleigh. Twist grip was popular in the early 60's, there were no Hong Kong Raleigh bikes at that point and they certainly wouldn't have used Shimano parts.
The CG decal is 70's era, the bike is early 60's. Since there are no other decals, maybe someone did a repaint of cheap bike and added a Raleigh Sports decal?
I've only seen two cg styles on Raleigh bikes here, the pre-76 hockey stick style and the 76-83 version with an extra 'dip' behind the front sprocket.

Raleigh Sports used a tubular crown fork, rubber mounted rear reflector, and Sturmey Archer hubs.
That bike has none of those.
Later Canadian model's did they were also called lendons

Latest posts

Back