Zepatista

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my first build-off journal entry. I've had this frame for a while, now its time to begin. Its a Hawthorne Zep. I've got a few ideas rattling around.

HawthorneZep.jpg

This was the original image that I purchased it from. On Ebay.

HawthorneZepFrame.jpg

I'll update as things progress.--JIM

As far as just oiling the chain...etc.,its not going to look like that red tired bike. I just borrowed the tires and wheels from another build to get an idea of what I had. I'm also using the front fork with the cast-in strut holders on that same build. It's a camelback with no headbadge. I estimate the date as 1910-20. Here's what that looks like.
camelback1.jpg

What I started with was the Zep frame, which I first stripped of all paint. Looking at the brazing, I was surprised to see that the seat tube and the seat-post clamp, even the shim were all brazed together.
FirstSeatCl.jpg

The crank had the initials W and T inscribed into the center.
IMG_0002.jpg

The largest investment in this bike has been a new Monarch Springer that I bought from Memory Lane. The other parts have been accumulating for more than a few years, never used, but carefully hoarded. The seat is a long spring with a double pan.I sandblasted it and painted it red before I had a real idea of what the bike would eventually look like. I liked the bright color because it highlights the detail of the seat. I recovered it with a light tan leather. The rims are drop centers which were originally painted. I sandblasted them and painted them the same red as the seat. The parts are of the same era as the frame, with the glaring exception of the stem. The bike I'm trying to build is a 'scorcher' with a boardtrack, low slung look. This is the first assembly picture of the 'look', I was going for.
Zep2.jpg

After cleaning all the paint off, I primed it with rust-o-leum. I sprayed it outside with a bike stand/flower basket holder contraption
paint2.jpg

Next,came the cream color for the darts. I used rust-o-leum as well, 'cause the colors in their lineup are pretty traditional. I also wanted to paint the frame a navy blue, like the Camelback up at the top. Good plan, but I couldn't find the same navy color as before, they're backordered, out of stock, maybe even discontinued. This put a crimp in my plans. There wasn't a navy in the radius of the four towns in my immediate area. I settled for the next darkest color, a cobalt blue by Valspar. This looked sort of dark, but was really like a blue you'd see on an old Rollfast or Schwinn. I sort of felt like I was losing control of it all, but it's just a bike and just a rattle can, so I went for it. I didn't mind the color so much, but did mind the crazing reaction between the two brands. Everywhere there was cream paint this reaction occurred. I didn't want to strip it all and start all over, it was after the week of the fourth and time was rushing on so it is as it is. I rationalized it all away.
paintondarts.jpg

The best part was the assembly anyway, so let it roll!
FrntEnd.jpg

The hubs are a Schwinn script front hub. The tires are Ritchey Moby Bite Slicks. I was lucky enough to get a set that are grey with gum sidewalls. The rear hub is a New Departure D type. I also swapped out the chainring from the original Monarch tear drop to a more angular chainwheel.
BottomBrkt.jpg

assembly1.jpg

This is the last assembly shot I took. Its a little less ratrod than old timey. Especially with the blue ,white and red. The final result is this next shot...then I'll put together a photo series for the final entry. I hope you enjoyed looking at this stuff. Any more questions or any requests for more pictures...no problem. Thanks--JIM
Zfin3.jpg

I am happy to see another Hawthorne. Love the red tires! I'll be rolling on red bricks-- I've always wanted a bike with red tires! How is that skip tooth working?

Latest posts

Back