ZIG ZAG

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok I figured everybody was having so much fun, that I would throw my build in the ring. I started off with one of those junk Western Flyer repops. I bought I several years ago and always hated it. One of those that you move to the rear of the build pile...Way back there.

A.jpg

I stripped all the paint and did a quick mockup with a Nexus 7 speed I had built .

B.jpg

I decided on a color and started with a beehive springer that was laying around

C.jpg

Looked pretty good so I started with the rest and decided on a two tone silver and yellow....gee the silver on the bottom had been done...wondered where I got that idea.

D.jpg

I had those green lobdells that never looked very good on previous builds so I thought hey here is a chance to use them. Maybe a dark red on the tank
E.jpg

It was really colorful....but not right so maybe all green...

F.jpg

Ya gotta have a light
G.jpg

I finally went with a dark charcoal and some mini apes for bars. Needed a cool seatpost that would stay within the confines of the build rules so I came up with an extra bar to add a little something diferant to it.

H.jpg

It was suppose to be a hot rod bike ...so I stuck some boardtrack bars on it....seem to be really popular right now.

I.jpg

J.jpg

It had a cheap sticker headbadge that didnt make the paint removal so I built my own

K.jpg

Any way there are so many nice builds that I couldnt resist joining in the fun...Hope ya like this one.

Thanks to the new tax on ciggies,thats exactly what I'm doing. Believe it or not ZIG Zag makes a starter kit with 6oz. of their tabacco and a little rolling machine . I was sitting here looking at the can and saw the ZIG ZAG logo and thought ...hummm I could cut that off the can and make me a headbadge. I was going to use the whole can and make one of those ...stuff holders to mount behind the seat. Beside it is nostalgic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That paint on my chainguard was the quickest thing I have done. I was looking for a design that was easy. I ran 1/2'' tape the length of the chainguard on both sides and then that 1/8'' tape in the middle. Then start at the front with the 1/8'' tape and run it across leaving smaller squares each time. the whole thing took probably 15 minutes.

chainguard001.jpg

Fantastic build.......love how you documented the trial and error. Great idea on the seat post! Looks great! Any chance you'd want to get rid of thoses Lobdells. I need at least one for my Elgin.

Naw I really messed up with my choice of paint , I'm going to take them apart and paint them red or something. Never grab a can of paint you have laying around to spray your two rims you are going to build. They are in really good shape and kinda hard to find . they need to be on one of my elgin builds.

Have you posted in the wanted section. I thought I saw somebody recently that posted in the fresh finds that had a set on something that may want to part with theirs.

its about time! :lol: truly great build with lots of choice parts! your seatpost trick will be showing up in a lot of future builds!sweet! 8)

Thanks Jon but there are so many cool bikes this build I was almost ashamed to enter mine. I did the week stare at it to come up with something differant . Its really hard when you have to use a stock frame. I'm more of a build your own frame guy. This place has gotten so many talented people that nobody looks at the box anymore ,much less think outside of it. :cry:

Latest posts

Back