šŸ LE MIRAGE - An update.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the 'Last Coat' Cera Trim on all my vehicles and bikes. Excellent restorer for rubber and plastics and vinyl.

75.jpg

I have a Knog classic bell that will work nicely with a little bit of Dremel work on the joiner

76.jpg

A Bell or 'a warning device' is legally required to be fitted on a bicycle in Queensland. This will work nicely.

77.jpg

78.jpg

Been a good weekend - A bit more prep I'm ready to start painting.
There are still some mechanical Jobs to be finished - but I'm waiting on the Freewheel tool and some parts.
The wheel rims still need a little more work too.

Resto-tools.
79.jpg

I've managed to keep everything well sorted so far. Old bits - new bits - group set - polished bits - paints - all in bins or boxes.
Organisation had been my downfall previously - but my favourite saying is "Experience is a good school - but the fees are high!"

80.jpg

I sanded the frame's worst rust spots and scratches then treated with Solvol - then sanded again. Then applied the first part of the spray.bike kit.

It seems to have come up really well. I've given it a light sand too and it's quite smooth except for over the carbon decal is slightly raised - but I'm replacing it so it will be fine.

So far so good.

81.jpg

You are flying through this build. I really liked the og paint, but look forward to your new paint.
Nice detail work going into this.

You are flying through this build. I really liked the og paint, but look forward to your new paint.
Nice detail work going into this.

Thanks - It's about to slow down now though. Freewheel tool is due today and I can get on to the back wheel - but next lot of parts are coming from overseas - so will be a while.

And I was 'worried' about the new colour - so I did a very quick mock up in photoshop - and I think it's going to wok out really well.

colours600.jpg

Thanks - It's about to slow down now though. Freewheel tool is due today and I can get on to the back wheel - but next lot of parts are coming from overseas - so will be a while.

And I was 'worried' about the new colour - so I did a very quick mock up in photoshop - and I think it's going to wok out really well.

View attachment 232611
Looks awesome with the white walls

A chrome pie dish, a big front reflector (original missing), and an Alu bottle and holder to polish up. Some nice plated ferrules to replace the worn plastic jobs on the brake levers too.

Doan needs no steenken budget. I do plan to get a lot of miles out of this bike.

84.jpg

For reference - Atom 77 Freewheels need a Park Tool FR-4 (and a big ol' spanner and plenty of chutzpah).
85.jpg

However the wheels are all now serviced and so is the Freewheel.

86.jpg

The lock ring on the Atom Freewheel is actually the outer race - and unlike any other I have disassembled. The whole unit has to come apart to remove the ring completely. When I tried to lift it out the cogs came with it and spilled the bearings into the tin before I could count how many top and bottom - but they fitted back with one space on both sets so I'll assume that's how they were.
It all cleaned up pretty well. No appreciable internal wear and the pawls are in good nick.

87.jpg

Dust caps arrived, but now I have a to decide on livery. I have a set of re-pop decals on the way from the UK, but these vinyl cut outs turned up today - I think the plain white logo on the top tube will look better in the new scheme of things.
I'm leaning towards a combo with the original Made in France and Steel Tubing logos too.

88.jpg

Last edited:
Today's arrivals.

Toe straps ex-UK by courier - good service there - and while I was fitting them the Postie delivered the new headset bearings.

89.jpg

I'm not sure if I'll use these - I'm more of an arch of the foot rider. But, buildoff!

90.jpg

I should have read the listing closer - 'sold in pairs' - oh well - I have a spare set now.

91.jpg

Latest posts

Back