▀▄▀▄▀▄ 𝘚𝘗𝘌𝘌𝘋𝘍𝘐𝘚𝘏 𝘚𝘗𝘌𝘊𝘐𝘈𝘓 ▄▀▄▀▄▀ ( or... How To Turn Your Cycle Truck Into A Supercharged Cycle Car Racer Using Two Kiddie Cars)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slant six Hemi Ute from @LukeTheJoker and @GTHOtrod neck of the woods found in Vegas,

View attachment 232037
View attachment 232038
and one Bad Gasser from the same day.

View attachment 232039

This one really speaks to me

1683931873483.png

I love this build! It's such a cool and creative build plan. I really think it's going to be an awesome project!

It is looking kind of muscley. I can see a skinny 16 on the front with a 24x3" slick with raised white lettering on the back.

There's some gasser fun to be had in this thread:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/oddball-60s-gassers.1289925/

I'll probably stick to the cycle truck roots of having a 20" front wheel. I've got a few different options in mind for the rear. Possibly my checkered flag 24x3 fatti-o electra straight8 wheel, or a bigger bolder 26x4 felt zigzag with some dropout extensions. Wheel see what works in the time I'll have.
Lot's of great inspiration fodder on the jalopy journal. Been looking at that forum for ideas.

Is that what is meant by the term "Mouse Motor?"

Maybe I'll make the engine block out of plexiglass with this as the hidden powerplant.

1683934053146.png

With the Kingfish having such a historic bent for ‘doodadery’ I see a Ratfink addition turning up somewhere along the line.😉🤣

You never know. I still have that cool ratfink chainring.

1683934259084.png

Or the Mattel HotWheels Vrrrooom Fink shifter I still have from Holeshot.

Nothing to report on my BO18 plans, but I'm ready for BO20 now. @Pondo hooked me up with a lead that someone was selling an Elgin Twin Bar frame on the CABE.
It's now headed my way. I built VerBoten for Build Off 10, then SteamRoller for Build Off 15. Now I am set roll out third Elgin Twin Bar for Build Off 20. :D

1684154545297.png

So, KF, I'm assuming you haven't forgotten about BO 19.....? :wondering::nod::wink1::bigsmile:

Naw man, TOP priority should be to actually do some building in BO18!!! :D
Hopefully BO19 will be less stressful.
I've just jokingly been saying that I need another Elgin Twin Bar so I could continue my streak of building one every 5 years. They seem to bring me good luck because my only Build Off wins with with my Twins. :D We'll see if the good mojo continues with Triplets. :D

1684158184327.png
1684158317302.png

I recently saw the BB sheet metal for a twin somewhere. I'll try to figure out where I saw it and pass it along.

*Edit* found it. HERE The same seller also has a head shroud.

Last edited:
I recently saw the BB sheet metal for a twin somewhere. I'll try to figure out where I saw it and pass it along.

*Edit* found it. HERE The same seller also has a head shroud.

Thanks! It's easy to get lost chasing all of the different shrouds for the Twin Bars. I've got those on my watchlist though.

Speaking of Elgin Twin Bar shrouds, check out this pic I found years ago of some chromed up ones.

1684290488146.png

I see you went overdrive on the fonts. :rofl: Overdrive= gasser get it!!!!
Brings out the young speed demon in all of us...:grin:

Still busy with our house project, but I couldn't not having the cycle truck on the property to brainstorm with. So I went over to my bike stash to get it.

20230521_115753.jpg

I forgot that the stem bolt was missing and that the stem is currently stuck in the steertube. It's gonna take a pretty long rod to try and hammer out the quill wedge.

20230521_115759.jpg

Removed the apes since I know I'm not using them.
Also removed the basket braces.

20230521_121902.jpg

I still had the mag wheel in my car, so I went ahead and removed the kids front wheel and put the mag on.

20230521_122848.jpg

I also grabbed the Cycle Truck fenders and front stand that I had bought from @joshfronga years ago.

20230521_123437.jpg

It's all home with me now so I dwell on it when I find time.

Last edited:
Loaded the stem full of PB Blaster. We'll see how it does in a few days.
Took the seat and seatpost off to get a better feel for how well the kiddie car body will cover the seattube joint and beyond.
It was fun to finally play with this car body with the actual frame. My idea is to notch out a hold for access to the seat clamp and have the rear of the car body extend back to also cover the seatstays up to the seattube.

1684722899544.jpeg

I like the width and height scale of this body with the lines of the cycle truck frame. I'm still thinking on the length though.
It actually fits nicely if the front of the body is just behind the headtube.
Another option is to slice the front of the body off and easily extend the body so that the front of the car body is just in front of the headtube.
And there is still the earlier option I photoshopped around with creating an open engine bay by extending the grille body out farther in front of the headtube.

I have options to think through and play with. I do like the scale of the motor blower and header pipes. They can work with any of the above options.

Here are some test mockups with my trusty foil tape from different angles to get my head around the relative scale of the parts with each other and how to proceed next.

1684723416701.jpeg

1684723442779.jpeg
1684723463576.jpeg
1684723477145.jpeg

While my head has been filled with open engine hot rod roadsters for inspiration the past couple of weeks,

1684724412992.jpeg

I can't help but feel a bit of a cafe racer vibe now that I see the tank and frame playing together. Maybe I'll change the name to "Mr. Coffee" instead of Mr. Gasser. :D :D

1684724802764.png

Who knows???????

1684724469279.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back