⭐ LoCo-Motion ⭐ ReTrO gRaVeL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Monster cross set up?
Depends on who you talk to lol. It will definitely be large for a normal gravel setup but most of the internet world refers to monster cross as being 2.25 or 2.3 and up. But what do they know

I just like that extra cushion and being able to have all of that air adjustability in there for off-road. On my Poseidon I can run up to 2.8 tires with the right treads. I haven't tried that yet as it's already heavy enough

I don't hate that stem. It probably shouldn't go to the scrapper. Not my favorite style of forks, any plans for that area yet?
Not scrapping the stem but it won't go back on here

I tried a few different forks last night. Started with a different threaded 1.125 rigid fork that I had gotten from Dr T quite a while ago. Also tried some different suspension forks but that probably won't happen as it's just adding weight where I'm trying to take weight off. I'm pretty sure I have some straight blade hybrid style forks around here somewhere I just need to find them

I'm looking for one of those early StumpJumpers because I can't afford an original Fisher/Kelly/Ritchey MountainBike.
What size? I have a nice unrestored one currently.

I'm not too educated on Iron Horse beyond what's already been said in this thread. Just about any frames out of Giant Taiwan since the late 80's has been good quality and the only real difference in brands are designs and tubesets specced, though I do believe Giant may have paid a litte closer attention to their own branded bikes to a certain point. I understand some racers BITD raving about the way their Iron Horse bikes dealt because everyone has that perfect MTB design that fits their style of riding.

Not scrapping the stem but it won't go back on here

I tried a few different forks last night. Started with a different threaded 1.125 rigid fork that I had gotten from Dr T quite a while ago. Also tried some different suspension forks but that probably won't happen as it's just adding weight where I'm trying to take weight off. I'm pretty sure I have some straight blade hybrid style forks around here somewhere I just need to find them
Photoless update

Forks from the stash have thus far turned up nothing. Ordered a tapered leg unit from Amazon that arrived today..........no v brake mounts. Description was wrong :(

Did stumble across a threadless adapter in a parts bin that happens to be 25.4 at the bottom. So push come to shove I can absolutely run the stock fork and have all the adjustability of newer threadless stems of which I have no shortage. All sorts of lengths and angles

Items that will be here this Thursday or Friday -

Bar tape
Single speed adapter
Hollow tech BB

Pieces

IMG_20221026_162003996~2.jpg

Of a

IMG_20221026_162136507~2.jpg

Puzzle

IMG_20221026_162514916~2.jpg

She came apart smooth with exception of the BB. That's soaking now. Filled with that smelly grey La Brea tar pit ooze that tells me it's probably never been opened and probably had water in there at least once

View attachment 213851View attachment 213852View attachment 213853

The only things pictured that are 100% guaranteed to be reused are the frame and the seatpost

Even the brake mount bolts and water bottle cage bolts will probably be replaced with stainless hardware like usual

If I can free up that BB tomorrow I plan to wash and hopefully polish this thing this weekend
A good starting place for a personal build. Frame and fork, and as most of you have done the fork isn't a given either. At least you will know what you have and it will be in a usable condition.

I didn't mention them earlier because I didn't want people thinking I had a  thing or something:blush:
I openly admit I have an issue. 78 pairs of Vans and counting. Don't get me started on the others 😂

Well that didn't last long. Was working on my 29'er tonight and getting ready for a Rock Shox rebuild and thought the rear wheel for this thing looked flat just sitting there. Sure enough.............

Bad tube, pokey spokey, or likely I overtightened the presta nut. Will investigate at a later time

Latest posts

Back