π™π™π™ˆ π™Žπ™₯π™šπ™šπ™™π™‘π™žπ™£π™š π˜½π™π˜Όπ™

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the hidden bracing you are coming up with. Will you need to add any more that stretches out to support farther back? Or will the cantilever effect of the mounted rack be enough?

Yes, the next bracket will span from the fender side of the 'bridge' to the two studs made into the saddle, effectively triangulating the complete set up.

I'm about to leave for the rest of the day to get my daughter moved back into her dorm room at UAB, so it'll be tomorrow after church before I can start on part three.

Go Blazers!

Go Blazers!
IMG_4420.JPG

This is her campus bike. It's a cheap Huffy throw away bike so that it can be locked outside without fear of theft or vandalism. I got it tuned up yesterday and ready for another year's service between the dorm and classes.

Unfortunately I was seated on a Grand Jury this morning. So for the rest of the week, all planned work on the Brat will be limited. Normally if chosen for a Grand Jury, they said it would start two weeks out, but for what ever reason we started on the court docket right after lunch. :( I've been on jury duty before and was hoping to be lucky enough like I've been in the past to have short days everyday so that I would actually have more time for the bike. Instead I will have less. Oh well.:doh:

This comes at a bad time as it relates to the build-off.

Unfortunately I was seated on a Grand Jury this morning. So for the rest of the week, all planned work on the Brat will be limited. Normally if chosen for a Grand Jury, they said it would start two weeks out, but for what ever reason we started on the court docket right after lunch. :( I've been on jury duty before and was hoping to be lucky enough to have short days everyday so that I would actually have more time for the bike. Instead I will have less. Oh well.:doh:

This comes at a bad time as it relates to the build-off.
Ugh that's horrible. Thanks for being mindful of your civic duty. I've never been selected for jury duty in all my call ups. Maybe I just answer all the questions right (wrong)

I did get one small thing done today.

I had made a plate to fit over the bridge yesterday that will be used to weld up the third bracket. I made it this way so that it will bolt to the bike along with the other brackets.
IMG_4424.JPG

It was made by splitting a piece of galvanized conduit because I had it on hand and it had roughly the correct I.D.. Welding galvanized metal is not ideal so I stripped it with muriatic acid this evening. Warning! Never do this without safety gear and always set up outside! It has a mean chemical reaction!
IMG_4423.JPG

It's ready for welding as soon as I can arrange it this week.
IMG_4425.JPG

Hire someone that can follow instructions you secretly send them with your phone. Hope you can keep making progress when you can. I've only made it so far as being on call for two days, but I've actually had to sit on a jury yet. Good luck!

Just got a chance to catch up on your build. You are the master of custom and reproduction fiberglass parts! Personally, I like the Airflow tank best, especially for this build. With the seat down as low as it is, and the rack looking like the seat's fast-traveling shadow trailing behind it, this bike needs a tank that helps that long, low profile the rest of the bike has going on. I know some folks were making analogies about "hole shots" and "trap speeds," so here's my analogy:

Tire-burning gasser at the local drag strip...
204075-Arrow-tank-brat.JPG

Record-breaking streamliner at Bonneville Salt Flats...
203983-aIRFLOW-bRAT.jpg

Personally, I vote Bonneville. This looks like something a member of the 200 MPH Club would ride between passes.

@Bike from the Dead I've sold all of my 'out of the box' ready to mount tanks but have a couple of partially complete Arrow tanks. I also have everything out of the molds to put together either style tank but I may not have time for that. Putting a complete tank together takes a lot longer than one might think.

I can simply bolt either tank in place at some point but for the build-off deadline it's looking more and more like it will have to be the 'Tire Burning Gas Burner" because I can throw something together much quicker. I like each for different reasons so I'm ok with using either one.

@Bike from the Dead I've sold all of my 'out of the box' ready to mount tanks but have a couple of partially complete Arrow tanks. I also have everything out of the molds to put together either style tank but I may not have time for that. Putting a complete tank together takes a lot longer than one might think.

I can simply bolt either tank in place at some point but for the build-off deadline it's looking more and more like it will have to be the 'Tire Burning Gas Burner" because I can throw something together much quicker. I like each for different reasons so I'm ok with using either one.
Can't say I'm surprised your tanks have sold out for the most part. I'm still itching to buy one of your conversion tanks once I have the funds set aside. I can imagine how much of a challenge it is to assemble a complete tank from the ground up, especially when you're trying to faithfully recreate an existing design with none of the original tooling.

Do what you gotta do. Either tank will look great on your bike. I just want to see you, and everyone else who entered the Build Off, cross the finish line in the next 2 weeks.

We finished at the courthouse earlier today than yesterday so I ran home and grabbed all of my pieces and made it to my friend's shop (Unique Motorcars) with about 15 minutes left before they normally lock up and leave for the day. They are the same company that does all of my fiberglass work.

I had just enough time to set up and tack the pieces together myself while he was finishing welding on a Cobra frame for the day.
IMG_4426.JPG

After telling him that I would try to come back tomorrow (if time allowed) to finish welding everything off of the bike, he was kind enough to stay over for a few minutes and finish the welding for me. I trust his welding more than I do mine anyway!
IMG_4427.JPG

Between my welding and him finishing it the welds look a little rough but are strong and won't be seen. So the third bracket is done!
IMG_4429.JPG

I got home and bolted everything back together (minus the saddle) to check all of the alignment and I'm right where I want to be!
IMG_4432.JPG

It is starting to feel very ridged but I'm still not there. Bracket number four will be next as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back